Algae issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mc925

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I am new to AA and would first like to say HI.

I have had my 90 gallon tank and has been setup for 3-4yrs. I have notice some green grass like algae growing on LR and seems to be spreading. What can I do to prevent this from growing or spreading?

Besides the grass like algae, there is dark brown and slime looking coating on some of the LR. The brown coating can be removed very easily, but what is the cause of this to grow and how can i fix this?

There is about 90lbs or LR, large maroon clown, 2 large cardinals and a baby trigger.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

The slime stuff sounds like cyano. The algae problem is more then likely due to your fish growing and you having to feed more as they grow. Cut back on the feedings...everyother day or so and watch the amount of light also.

Welcome to AA! :)

I agree that it's likely cyano. Read the article that Mike linked and possibly try to increase flow in the affected area.

yes, cyano can be caused by lack of flow to much light or over feeding =0 i had that problem i bought a chemical it went away in a day never came back all is well xD... as far as the green algae you were saying it sounds to me like hair algae? does it look like this by any chance?

zoogignaquar%2B013.jpg

if so i had a huge problem with that... i suggest getting some turbo snails if not already theyll plow right through it... what do you have as a clean up crew right now? (crabs snailz shrimp anything?) heres a good link on hair algae.: Curing and Control Green Hair Algae in your Saltwater Aquarium - Curing and Control Green Hair Algae in your Saltwater Aquarium

good luck!!!

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I will try to increase water flow and cut back on feeding.

Panza: what chemical did you get to deal with the cyano? my hair algae looks like that but only a few millimeters growing on the lr.

Be careful introducing a chemical to rid yourself of cyano. Cyano is actually a bacteria so anything that kills it may also affect the beneficial nitrifying bacteria as well. Your best bets IMO are to increase flow to the area, reduce feeding, and possibly introduce Phosguard or Algone or the like in order to reduce the nutrients available to it.

Thanks for the input.

Also, I will be getting new lighting fixtures T-5 HO. I currently have lids/hood on my tank, with the new lighting, can I remove the hoods so it's open? I have read different opinion regarding this matter, what do you guys think?

Panza: what chemical did you get to deal with the cyano? my hair algae looks like that but only a few millimeters growing on the lr.

I would first try to fight it off as long as possible with out chemicals thats always a last resort... But any how i used Chemi Clean Red Slime Remover. (Red slime = cyano) and yes nothing was affected it cleared up in a day or two... just read the instructions and be careful!

Your tank is better off without a lid. Lids tend to trap CO2 gas and that will lower your PH. Be aware that you should add a netting or egg crate to prevent fish from jumping out.

Your tank is better off without a lid. Lids tend to trap CO2 gas and that will lower your PH. Be aware that you should add a netting or egg crate to prevent fish from jumping out.

noted, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom