Algea growing rapidly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, it's much worse $$$ than freshwater. A nano setup is an alternative because it becomes easier to transpotrt water from the LFS. But nanos are a bit sensitive.

From your other post I can see that you are young and the LFS didn't really care if you succeeded. That sucks because I was you. I am older and now can afford stuff. If you watch Craigslist you can find rodi units. I just have an ro unit. You can get them for about $120. Or watch eBay. You don't have to buy stuff from your LFS you can find cheaper online Bulk Reef Supply. The only reason I find buying from the LFS is important is for emergency help in the future. If your LFS is just selling you stuff without telling you important facts like you need to do water changes and top off with rodi water they may be just wanting to make a quick buck. Also didn't tell you about cycling and moving a tank may cause a cycle. Read these forums read all post by Mr. X you will learn a lot and so far Mr. X has been right on everything I have read so far.

I hate to compliment Mr_X because it goes right to his head and coral sainthood is already eminent, but one thing he seems to promote is you can pursue this hobby in rubber wash tubs. It doesn't take a lot of cash to adopt the KISS principle. And it works really well for him. As an engineer, I over complicate things sometimes.

grouphug.gif

Happy little fishes, all swimming in the sea.

I have benefited from this forum. My skills are better as a result of these exchanges. Using this forum and the Internet, I could have knocked years off the deadly learning curve we all have gone through if you've done this for a while, successfully. So in a way, one of the most important ingredients to a successful artificial reef is knowledge, not any one piece of equipment. And sharing that knowledge and allowing it to be picked to pieces on line is part of the scientific process. Right?

Now back to regular programming.

Last edited:
Happy little fishes, all swimming in the sea.

I have benefited from this forum. My skills are better as a result of these exchanges. Using this forum and the Internet, I could have knocked years off the deadly learning curve we all have gone through if you've done this for a while, successfully. So in a way, one of the most important ingredients to a successful artificial reef is knowledge, not any one piece of equipment. And sharing that knowledge and allowing it to be picked to pieces on line is part of the scientific process. Right?

Now back to regular programming.

I started reading using these forums before I set up my first SW tank in January. I haven't had on fish die in that tank, a couple of shrimp, that is all. I have gained years of knowledge in a matter of months!

Yes I've been watching these threads for a while before I set up my tank but I started this so I can get more info

I am moving a single blue chromis(last of 4) and a few pieces of LR from a 29/15 reef tank that was abandoned at my house into a 55 Fowler, which I may try to attach the 15gallon sump to somehow if I can make it fit inconspicuously. Will need to buy an overflow as there is no built-in in this particular 55 gallon.

Is there an alternative to re-using all the rather colorful algae infused sand in the older tank? I have an extra 45 lbs of cured rock, and can afford a new bag or two of quality sand. I happen to have a 5lb bucket of pebbles from the seller of the 55'.

I use either Flourite or Ecocomplete in my fresh water tanks and vacuum detritus with little circular swoops without disturbing the root tabs under the surface. With sand in salt tanks I notice I need to deeply plunge the vac into the sand to get any of the pink, green and rusty pockets out of the sand.

I would like to have a healthy and low maintenance substrate - and plan to have a FOWLR with either chromis or a single puffer or trigger fish of some type if possible (55+15 gals if I can get the sump to hook up somehow!)

Thanks for any tips!
Lila

Actually, I wouldn't ever vacuum the sand bed. Those pockets may be low oxygen zones and are as beneficial as live rock.
Just keep decent flow in the tank so that uneaten food and fish poop stay in the water column.
Use finer grain sand-not the pebbles that came with the tank. The finer the grains, the less detritus will get trapped between them.

mr_X said:
The finer the grains, the less detritus will get trapped between them.
id take a look at pool filter sand, its a cheaper alternative to "live" sand and you can usually select from a few different colors.

id take a look at pool filter sand, its a cheaper alternative to "live" sand and you can usually select from a few different colors.

Wow your tank is huge you are very lucky to find a tank just sitting in the trash

POLARBEAR0871 said:
Wow your tank is huge you are very lucky to find a tank just sitting in the trash

Lol didnt quite find it in the trash but i did only pay 300 for the whole setup, pretty close to finding it in the trash lol

Not bad it's huge I payed around 150 for a 55g with a stand a filter heater air pump and a bunch of decorative plants that I replaces with live plants lol

Back
Top Bottom