Amplicillex bad for Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munskins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
*If you are not familiar with Amplicillex it is a wide spectrum Anti-Fungal/Anti-Bacterial Capsules that help aide fin rot.

It said in the directions that if used as directed it is safe for biological filter beds. Does that mean its safe for live rock?

Ingredients: 250mg capsules of water soluble ampicillin trihydrate activity

Well, I could definitely be wrong, but I don't understand how a wide-spectrum antibiotic (anti-bacterial) could not be harmful toward the beneficial bacteria in LR.
I don't think antibiotics are "selective" as far as which bacteria they kill.

Hopefully someone else can chime in here, but I don't think I'd use it with LR.

Why are you wanting to use this? If you have a sick fish then quarinteeen it in a hospital tank.

As a general rule you should never add medication to your display tank unless its absolutly critical

Antibiotics will be harmful to the inverts on the rock. Any antibiotic has thepotential to destroy your biological filter.

Well, It does say on the box that it is safe for biological filter beds. So correct me if im wrong but isnt live rock a biological filter?

fishfreek: i wanted to put it in the quarantine tank with the fish because this fish needs the live rock to live (green madarine goby)

although if there is a risk, id rather not take it since the rock is worth more than the fish.

So correct me if im wrong but isnt live rock a biological filter?
You're not wrong, LR is a biological filter - but, it is a biological filter because of the live *bacteria*. Again, an antibiotic is not specific in what bacteria it kills.
I don't understand how they can market it as being "safe" for biological filters, when biological filters are based on beneficial bacteria.

i wanted to put it in the quarantine tank with the fish because this fish needs the live rock to live (green madarine goby)

The Mandarin is going to need a lot more than this rock to survive. I'm pretty sure I posted in the other thread where you were asking about this. In any case, this single 8lb piece of LR is pretty much irrelevant to the Mandarin's survival - so don't take the chance and put the LR in the Q tank.

Sorry about being so repetitive :roll: . So what else does it need besides live rock? live sand?

So what else does it need besides live rock? live sand?

Mandarins need approx 75-100 lbs of mature LR per fish, maybe a little less if you have a DSB. The LR and LS would have to have been free of micropredators for at least 6 mos. There is a finite number of pods for the fish to eat on your 8 lb piece of rock and they only reproduce so fast. The fish will hunt and eat every pod on that rock in about 2-3 hours and then it's back to starving. It is highly recommended that you return this fish to the LFS or find a reefer capable of taking care of this fish.

Ive had the fish for about a week so even if i give it back to the LFS with no money back, he will probally just let it die so its better off with me.

A dead fish, regardless of at who's hands, is still a dead fish. Why not see if you can find someone local to you who has the proper habitat to take care of the Madarin?
Try posting here and on other on-line resources.

Back
Top Bottom