another light question.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
In last nights post I told of replaceing my stock 20 watt bulb that came with my 30 gallon tank with a coralife hi 10000k bulb but I did'nt like the greenish color I was seeing. Today I took it back and replaced it with a coralife 50/50. I am more pleased with the color but the light seems a little dull.Now I'm really thinking about my lighting options and would greatly appreciate your opinions. My tank is fish only with 20lbs of live rock (I will be adding lots more in the future).The last two pieces of lr I bought has lots of plant growth that I would like to see live but I feel I am too new to this hobby for corals. Here are my choices:
a)keep the 50/50 light I have now
b)go back to the stock "brighter looking" bulb that came with the tank
c)upgrade to a all-glass brand double tube strip light / with glass canopy

d)upgrade to a all-glass brand compact fluorescent strip light (110 watt)
I only have $130.00 or so for this project. Thanks for your help.

you should be able to get a power compact hood for your tank for around 130 or less. liveaquaria.com has some good prices.

d)upgrade to a all-glass brand compact fluorescent strip light (110 watt)
I only have $130.00 or so for this project. Thanks for your help.

I'd go this route, with 1 X 10K and 1 X actinic bulb. If your only doing a FOWLR, you might get away with 2 X 20W light strip, but it will be close if you want to keep the LR happy, but the PCs would allow some of the low to med light corals to do OK in your tank later on.

The reason it looks duller, is because the actinic spectrum is not as intense as the 10K, this reduces the visible light, but gives a better color.

Back
Top Bottom