another live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok so i just got my live rock today from LR.com and its wonderful. I couldn't be happier. but in the note they sent with it they said they use Seachem reef advantage calcium every odd ay and seachem reef iodide every odd day. i thought that the whole idea of using the berlin method and using live rock was so that your tank was more "self-sufficient" so to say. Does everyone douse their tanks every other day with these chemicals? i haven't gotten a calcium test yet or an iodine one. i know, shame on me for buying the LR without being fully prepaired. but i honestly din't think id need these test until i started thinking about fish.

im just curious what everyone else does. or would do with my set up.

this is my set up....

10 gallon tank

10lbs of LR from Liverocks.com

neptune HOB filter

Profile 600 powerhead

100 W heater that came with my 29 gallon tank kit

standard florecent light.

I'm not really going for a reef aquarium, mainly just FOWLR and whatever coral that may be on my LR that can live with just my florecents for now.

any advice will be greatly appreciated!
TIA!

~emily~

I do not dose any trace elements, iodine or CA to my reef. Doing frequent water changes will ensure all levels will be where they need to be. I got a free Seachem Reef Pack from our local rep while I was at the LFS so I used it for a month. It goes fast and is pretty expensive, that is why I stopped. However, during that time I noticed a huge growth boom in both my xenia species. Adding them should not hurt, just make sure you test for both CA and iodine if you decide to.

im not tryin for a reef tank yet. just a healthy rock and some fish in the future. Maybe someday i'll upgrade and then ill consider the chemicals. thanks for all your help guys!

ps can i just say how gosh darn excited i am with this live rock! i have so much on it! i have a bunch of little baby zoos! and ive already seen 4 snails, there's 4 dead crabs, but thats ok, maybe theres some alive ones i cant see yet! plus two baby what look like annemonies! i'm so stoked!

Back
Top Bottom