Another Sump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've heard from several sources that some people keep hermit crabs and snails and such in their sumps. What is the purpose of doing this? What should I put in my sump? I have a 75 gallon sump on a 42 gallon tank FOWLR (and a couple really small corals).

I would imagine if some are prone to overfeeding (nothing wrong with that, if you take appropriate clean up measures) and not turning their pumps off for feeding they may need the critters to keep stuff clean in the sump. Some peoples sump is also a lighted refugium and clean up crews are necessary ;)

Why would you light your sump?

And why would overfeeding affect whether or not you need a cleanup crew in your sump? Wouldn't the prefilter catch it before it got to them?

People light refugiums which have macro algaes and LR and LS for nutrient export.

Most reefers do not use prefilters or mechanical filtrationexcept possibly a skimmer. Therefore, no the prefilter wouldn't catch it ;)

Ahhh... so this is stuff that wouldn't apply to me being as how I have a mostly fish tank with very little in the way of corals, and not a particularly large amount of rock?

Back
Top Bottom