Anybody bought from tampa bay live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been looking around for some nice live rock and stumbled onto tampabayliverock.com I was wondering if anyone has purchased any rock from here and if so what were the results! thanks

TampaBayLive rock has a fantastic reputation. I don't personally own any, but I know several reefers who have been quite happy with their purchase from them. Their rock is known for having LOTS of life on it - to the point of sometimes having hitchhiking corals, gorgonians, etc.

One note - aquacultured LR is also infamous for the amount of potential *nasty* hitchhikers that come along with it - mantis, guerilla crabs, etc. If you do decide to order from them, just be aware of this.

Hola!

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same place but I'm in the Tampa area and last Saturday went to Tampabay Saltwater (www.tampabaysaltwater.com) and got some LS and was very impressed with it. It came full of small organisms (snails, hermits, worms and many others that I don't know what they are), this stuff is really alive !! I added 10 pounds on top of my 4" Southdown DSB to seed it.
I also reserved a few pieces of LR but didn't brought them home because they are cured and full of live things (feather dusters, coralline, sponges, crabs, snails, red things, orange things, blue things, green things). I'm afraid that most of it would die during the Ammonia and Nitrite peaks. I'm planning to add them towards the end of the cycle and watch for any changes.
Their base rock is actually much better than all the LR I have seen on the LFS. I picked one that was full of dusters and coralline. What they refer as LR is a much higher quality and full of organisms. Then they have the decorator rock which is even nicer with more colors, anemones, sponges and even some pieces of corals.

The tank has been cycling for 11 days now and I'm very happy on how everything is coming together, my readings as of last night were;

PH 8.0
NH3 0 (already noticed the ammonia going up to 1.5 and now is at zero)
NO2 .3 (The nitrite test color is more intense everyday)
Temp 79.7
Salt 1.022 (planning to add some more to get it to 1.023)
CO2 2.1
KH 7 drops

BYE
Norberto
perezbob@yahoo.com

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same place but I'm in the Tampa area and last Saturday went to Tampabay Saltwater (www.tampabaysaltwater.com)

Yes, that is what I meant -- I must have been typing half asleep! :) Thanks for the clarification - you're very fortunate to live so close to them!

Salt 1.022 (planning to add some more to get it to 1.023)

FO or reef? If reef, you're going to want to bring it up to 1.025 - 1.026.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom