Aquacultured rock!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I keep getting two answers to my question and would like to know if you use fresh or saltwater to cure a fresh batch of ac rock

You need Sw to cure your LR. Check out our Sw articles. We have an excellent article on curing LR.

See neither of u know what I'm talking about... I'm not curing LIVE ROCK I'm leeching fresh AC... So I probably can use freshwater as all your doing is leeching lime and other chems out from the cement and throwing your water everyday... So I still have no answer

What I'm saying is this rock is not yet live and has trace chemicals that will nuke your tank ... Salt water would cost too much to throw out 30+ gallons a day

ask Greenmaster on here, he made his own rock and was/is dealing with what you are referring too

i wouldnt really consider making rock out of concrete aquaculturing, so thats why i didnt know what you were talking about

Why did you say you were cureing the rock then get mad when someone tells you the right answer. why would you risk putting rock that you need to leach chemicals out of in your tank thats just stupid base rock is like 1.50 a pound just buy it and save yourself the drama

you can use fresh water. i have heard of folks putting pieces of rock made from portland in their toilet tanks. a water change with every flush!

Thanx mr x your answers never fail... I can tell your very experienced in the hobby

xsmoker_3 said:
Why did you say you were cureing the rock then get mad when someone tells you the right answer. why would you risk putting rock that you need to leach chemicals out of in your tank thats just stupid base rock is like 1.50 a pound just buy it and save yourself the drama

I never said anything about putting ac rock in my tank all I said was u can't... Now once it's leached ( 1mnth ) then I can put it in my tank to cure it and turn it live

I would place them in fresh water for about a month with water changes every other day. Or you could do the same but do a half vinegar water solution to neutralize the lime in the cement. That way only takes about a week. Remember when testing the. Ph of the water let it sit for 2 days to get an precise reading.

Couple of pieces from my first batch

Attachments

• image-1312312579.jpg
    image-1312312579.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image-3922036675.jpg
    image-3922036675.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 130
Looks nice. Let them air dry for about 3 days or else the cement will not fully harden. Then place them in water. I would really recommend using a vinegar water mixture to get rid of all the lime. Try and shoot for a ph of 4 ish with the mixture.

actually, that's not true. concrete sets up better under water. you can put it right in the water after you take it out of your mold.

You can get coralline algae from another rock and put it in with the rocks you have. Eventually the algae will grow over all of the rocks. Curing can take 1-3 months.

First batch

Attachments

• image-2196446667.jpg
    image-2196446667.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 113
Rock looks good. If you don't mind me asking, what was the total cost of this project and how many lbs did it yield? I am planning my 150 gal setup and I was looking to try to shave off a few hundred bucks by either getting base rock or making my own.

Well overall around 40 to 50$$$ not sure yet what weight is... I will weigh it in a couple days

I use sand for my mold but I need some ideas on some design for tonga branch

I keep getting two answers to my question and would like to know if you use fresh or saltwater to cure a fresh batch of ac rock

This is the question that you asked. I gave you info based on what you asked. Based on curing rock.

Back
Top Bottom