asterias rubens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

land locked

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone ever kept a common (sugar) starfish in their aquarium? My daughter went on vacation to Oregon, and picked what she thought was a dead starfish off the beach. She put it in a ziplock bag with no water. When she unloaded her suitcase to give it to me, we were surprised to see it was alive and suctioned to the bag. I quickly set up my hospital tank and it is alive and well. I researched all that I could and I see they eat crabs and mussles. I recently started a FOWLR tank with an adopted lunar wrasse. I was thinking about putting it in that tank. What do you all think?

That is a cool water species. It should be in water no warmer than 72. It won't live in the temp we keep our tanks.

Oregon? Yeah... water temp is in the 50s (at best) so it won't last long even in a room temperature tank with no heater. Sorry.

Thanks for the info. I had not put a heater in the hospital tank because I knew it was a cold water starfish, but it did not make it anyway. I was still sad and my daughter was upset that she killed it, since she already though it was dead when she picked it up. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom