Backup return pump a must? Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DOMINATOR

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have my quiet one return pump going but I need to take off for a few days and I'm paranoid about something happening to the pump. Should I keep another pump on the side, plumb it with my other pump( with a tee) or plumb it separately and have it running full time? Any suggestions would be great!!

I'm not sure how another pump running would work. Wouldn't you have to throttle back the main so that 2 working at the same time wouldn't overload your overflow? In other words, a second pump will increase the return water flow, right?

What's the reason for your paranoia about it stopping on you?

One thing I would recommend to anyone is to have another pump impeller on hand. Of course, that doesn't help going out of town concern. My impeller cracked once and I had to wait for overnight delivery to get another. In the meantime, all in my sump/fuge died of course.

If I ran two pumps, one fails and I'm still good. Yes it would increase water flow but what else can I do. I can't ask the pregnant wife to plumb it for me if I'm gone!!!lol, not a good idea!! I heard tank temp could drop quick!!

Hook a vinyl hose up to a back-up pump and something to clip the hose to the tank top. If something goes bad, tell her the drop it in the tank, clip the hose to the edge, and plug it up (and unplug the bad one).

Can't increasing water flow with overflows not rated for that much water cause a flood? I'm no the tech genius but it sounds like your plan to run a back up 24/7 could be a problem.

Again, whay the concern that it'll stop working?

Put the heater in the main while you're gone too maybe.

Im just worried about losing everything because of a failed pump, it's a quiet one 6000, someone said they are not to reliable so it's been on my mind lately. I like the backup pump idea however. I think I'll do that, and keep the heaters in the main tank while I'm gone....thanks for that!!

Back
Top Bottom