Bacteria bloom in 1.5 year old tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys
I've noticed the past couple days my foxface has not been happy. He's half black, and half yellow. I've been dealing with a little hair algae outbreak, and I added a few more snails to help out.

The algae started because of my RODI water, I had to use water that was high in TDS (like 20) because I was leaving for vacation and couldn't buy new filters. When I got home, the algae slowly started creeping in. Yesterday I took some rocks out and scrubbed the algae off in saltwater, then put the rocks back. Moving rocks clouded the water a lot. I was expecting the water to clear overnight, but it hasn't. Looks like a typical bacterial bloom. Could it have been from scrubbing a few rocks? or the bad source water? I'm thinking it's a combo of both.

I've been doing more water changes because I hate to see my foxface ticked off, he's super tempermental with water quality I've found. My nitrates read between 0 and 5, like they always do. Phosphates are 0, which is most likely a false reading until my algae is 100% gone. I Haven't tested ammonia, but I'm guessing my fish would be stressed and my inverts would be dying if there was ammonia present.

Also, I'm running carbon, filter floss, polyfilter, and purigen in my HOB filter. My water is always sparkling, except now.

So my question is basically, is it possible to have a bacterial bloom in an established tank, and how long could this last?
Thanks

My tank went through a wierd stage not too long ago. It has been running for 2 yrs plus and one day the lights came on and my water was very cloudy. I couldnt figure out why and i assumed it was some sort of bloom. I never did figure out what is was but it drove me nuts for a month. Then one day it was gone completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom