Bad algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boogie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Does anyone know what algae I should not get? I 've read a few threads here that have me petrified now. I have a lot of algae, possibly known as scrub algae and I've read some places here that some algae can destroy your tank when it becomes sexual. Why does everything have to be so hard!!! I just thought algae was algae and that it was good to have in my smaller tank to help with nitrates, which, by the way, it isn't. The algae was given to me by one of my fish stores I've spent a lot of $$ at and he said it would be good for my nitrates. It does look like a green scrubber to scrub dishes but now I have ton floating on the top of the water and now I'm scared it's bad. Please let me know if anyone has any idea on this. Thanks.:icecream:

Almost sounds like cheato which you will find in this link down near the bottom. If not there are several different types of algea.

Xtalreef

It does sound like Chaeto...it is great !!! I have it in all my aquariums. The way to keep it intack and away from hermits (who tear it to pieces eating it) is to get one of those clips with the suction-cup on it...just clamp it on the Chaeto and stick it high on the glass where a water flow will hit it. That way it isn't blowing all over the place.

Works for me, anyway.

Algae is natural. The only bad algae is out of control algae, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom