Base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya, I ask because I've had a fish die 2 days ago. I added about 8 pounds 2 weeks ago. Now I have ammonia showing up and my banner fish is twitching and acting funny which is what the lavender tang was doing. Right now it's showing ammonia .5, nitrite 0, and nitrate 20. My salinity was at 1.028 which I brought back down to 1.025, don't know if that salinity may have caused it or something else. I've been getting the ammonia down with water changes, so far I've done about 25%, which is helping but he is still twitching.

I would still do another pwc if you can. The salinity may have played a role cuase it was pretty high.

How long has your tank been up and how did you cycle it?

Its been up for about 3 months with no problems. I did a fishless cycle with 40 pounds of live rock and 2 shrimp. I had a hydrometer which obviously was giving me false readings, I now have a refractometer. It Is a 55 gallon tank

My clown fish and watchman goby seem fine, I also have a chocolate chip star fish which is fine too.

I would just pwc to get your ammonia down for sure and keep an eye on the salinity. Do you have any cuc or anything else go missing that could have caused ammonia?

Actually just checked the ammonia and it is zero, I had a snail die yesterday but I got him out. I guess I'm puzzled at this point. Would some kind of parasite cause the twitching? I appreciate the help

I wish i could help. I'm a newbie as far as fish are concerned. I have just 3 in my SW tank. I'm sure someone will post soon.

How fast did you bring the salinity, you should make that change over a week or so not all at once.. Most base rock shouldnt cause a mini cycle unless it does have some life on it.. Live rock will cause a cycle. You can also cause a mini cycle if when you add the base rock you move other rock around and stir up your substrate..

Shane.

I took a few days bringing it back down. I did move the rock around a bit so that might have been the cause would that cause the fish to twitch, is this a symptom of the ammonia or the salinity?

Back
Top Bottom