Base Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticFanatic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to set up a 45 gal. tank as a FOWLR. I really dont have the $$$$ for 50 or so lbs. of LR so I was wondering if I could buy 25lbs. LR and seed 25lbs. base rock with that 25lbs LR? I am brand new to salt water and have no idea. Will NO lighting be fine for this FOWLR tank?

Thanks,
Amber :wink:

Yes to both questions. :)

It will probably be several months before you start seeing coralline algae on the baserock, but a lot of people who can't afford to go with all live rock take the approach you suggested.

NO lighting is fine for a FOWLR... it's when you get into wanting to keep corals that better lighting is required.

HTH

You will see little to no coralline growth w/ N/O lighting, but it wont hurt anything.

Squishy

check out www.hirocks.com, good prices and supposedly the quality of rock is real good. I ordered 60 lbs for $85 including shipping it should be getting here any day now. They also sell 30 lb boxes, or if you really want alot of rock a 1 TON box haha.

scubasteve said:
check out www.hirocks.com, good prices and supposedly the quality of rock is real good. I ordered 60 lbs for $85 including shipping it should be getting here any day now. They also sell 30 lb boxes, or if you really want alot of rock a 1 TON box haha.

Let me know what the quality of the rock is please. Also how did you order the rock they didn't have anything on the web site, just directed me to e-bay.

Thanks,
Amber

have you've gotten your rock from hirocks.com yet? I ordered but got no tracking number or anything like that... how do they ship it?

My rock came UPS and I got it in about 4 days. I am in California so it did not have to travel far. I purchased 3 boxes from them and the quality is great. I just rinsed it off to get the dust off of it and put it in my tank. Great rock for the price. 180 lbs cost me 220 shipped to my door.

I highly recommend it. :roll:

did you get a tracking number though?? I didn't... and it shipped thursday, living in florida so i don't know when I am supposed to expect it

They shipped it UPS ground and no I did not get a tracking #. I would guess you will have it by Friday but probably not much sooner than that. UPS ground is SLOW from my previous experiences.

Mine shipped last monday and came today, so it took a week exactly to get from Cali to NJ. The rock is in good shape the box it shipped in tho was all beaten up, not sure what caused it.

oh I know exactly what caused it.. I unfortunately have heard horror stories coming from UPS... thats why I am a bit scared...

I received my about 8 days after placing the order. Opted for the 60 lbs. What a wonderful rock it is, full of nuks and crannies. All I have to do now is to seed it with about 30 lbs of live rock. :D

Paul.

Unless they pack rock in plywood boxes, the boxes are going to be jacked up no matter what. The rock was fine in all 3 of my boxes and yes the did get the "ACE VENTURA" delivery treatment. Hope yours makes it safe.

Back
Top Bottom