Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanchezkk

Aquarium Advice Freak
:ermm: What chemicals do I need to check for when I am starting a saltwater aquarium? I am using the API Test Kit. So far I've tested for Nitrates, Nitrites, pH, and Ammonia. Are those the basic things I need to monitor for a beginning cycling FOWLR tank? :confused:

The idea is to have no ammonia, no nitrites, controllable nitrates below 15 for fish only no corals, PH >8 <8.4 salinity of 1.023 temp 25C these are very basic params

My Little Ocean said:
The idea is to have no ammonia, no nitrites, controllable nitrates below 15 for fish only no corals, PH >8 <8.4 salinity of 1.023 temp 25C these are very basic params

Thanks for the reply

Well, I could save you some tests. :D Just check for ammonia until you don't have any. Then check for nitrites until you don't have any. Then check all 3 - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and do a large pwc.

pH will remain pretty constant but you want to check periodically to see if there's a low reading. if so do a pwc to replenish the buffers.

your temp can be higher during cycling - 82-83F

Why would you recommend the temperature to be higher?

I'm checking the ammonia levels every 2 days and everything else is being checked weekly, according to the API testing kit instructions.

Nothing? You need ammonia to start a cycle like a dead shrimp or adding ammonia to the tank otherwise when you think your finished and you add a fish and it creates ammonia (poop) then you will have another cycle not good as fish can't handle ammonia and nitrite

My Little Ocean said:
Nothing? You need ammonia to start a cycle like a dead shrimp or adding ammonia to the tank otherwise when you think your finished and you add a fish and it creates ammonia (poop) then you will have another cycle not good as fish can't handle ammonia and nitrite

Agreed. No ammonia source = no nitrogen cycle. And you certainly don't want to start one with the addition of your fish. Both inhumane and costly.

I'm not trying to get into doing
fishless cycling. I just want to take my time and get it done slowly.

You need an ammonia source to start the chain of "cycling". You can't generate nitrite without ammonia and you will never get nitrtaes without either of the other two. :)

Just throw some pure ammonia or a dead shrimp from the grocery store. That will be enogh to get the bacteria going. You will still have to add fish slowly when youre done, but they will be safe from any ammonia spikes.

Nope. you do one big water change after you cycle and then your done. After that you just do a pwc every week and go about your business. lol :)

Basically the point is, you have to add some kind of ammonia source, or nothing much will happen and you'll start a fish-in cycle when you add fish. If you do add pure ammonia, make SURE it is in fact pure. I thought I had gotten pure ammo when I was cycling but didn't look at the ingredients and realized it had other things in it. Pure ammo shouldn't suds up when you shake it. Or of course you could go the shrimp route, or fish food. Lol

I am just worried about all the water changes as mentioned in eco's fishless cycle, I am also concerned of doing something wrong and have to start over. By-the-way, my wife is already getting kind of yancy and would like to add some fish soon. I've got started going by the Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies Handbook. I just want to get it right the first time. I'm sorry for asking so many questions.

If you put fish in without cycling then you risk those fish and you will have to do ALOT of water changes, most likely every day. If you cycle without fish it will take even less time and you won't have to do many changes. Plus when you do put fish in they will live. same thing for corals, you need an ammonia free tank to keep these things alive. And unless you cycle and get those beneficial bacteria that eat the ammonia and convert it to nitrite and then convert to a more harmless chemical, nitrate. Thats what you do water changes for, to get the nitrates out. And to replenish the elements that the salt mix has in it.

Back
Top Bottom