Beginner SW Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitch_W

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally got to put fish in my tank yesterday after letting my tank cycle for a month. I bought 2 damsels (blue & pink) in there and was planning on getting 2 more tonight. My tank is 75 gallons and since they are so small I wanted to just add 2 more. Is this a good idea? Or is 2 damsels enough? I know their aggressive so I didn't know if having 4 damsels would come back to haunt me when I add more fish in a few weeks. Thanks

I started out with 2 Damsels. One was great, real friendly and loved to build walls with the smaller rocks.

The other was a real demon. Once I started adding in some more fish he would attack them and the other Damsel. He took over the whole tank and would only let the other fish hang out in the front left corner at the bottom.

I had to get rid of that one. Took it back to the lfs.

Hi Mitch, welcome to the forums!

I think you'll find mostly the same opinions on the damsels. Pretty but mean little buggers. I avoided them entirely to avoid having to remove it one day LOL

Oh wow. Yeah everyone kept telling me to start out with damsels for the first few weeks, but I didn't know they were aggressive until I bought them. Are there any other cheap fish that would get along with the damsels until I start to put more expensive fish in there? Or should I just wait a few weeks and then add more fish?

I wouldn't put fish in there just for the sake of putting fish in LOL. i would stock slowly and deliberately, once you get enough fish that's it so make sure they count.

I wouldn't automatically assume the damsels will be an issue, but it's the most likely outcome. Maybe yours will get along with others, some have them and they aren't evil.

Ok thanks. I'll just wait it out. I know that patience is an important thing to have with aquariums. Thanks for the advice!

I prefer to go with clown fishes, are harder and less aggressive (try to have pairs), this only if you have your 4 cero's in all your parameters!! The best, try a fish less cycle, in case that your tank is not cycled.

i have two damsels,a blue(devil)and a neon velvet the blue one is mean with my fire fish other than that he don't bother my clowns or anything else.i had a yellow tail blue damsel i gave back to the pet store.it gave seven of my fish the r.i.p

I let my tank cycle for 4 weeks. I added 2 damsels (blue and pink) Sunday. And 2 green Chromis Monday. So far so good. I was told to get between 4-6 small fish to get the ammonia and stuff started. In about 2 weeks I'm planning on putting in some more expensive fish

I let my tank cycle for 4 weeks. I added 2 damsels (blue and pink) Sunday. And 2 green Chromis Monday. So far so good. I was told to get between 4-6 small fish to get the ammonia and stuff started. In about 2 weeks I'm planning on putting in some more expensive fish

After reading this, I thought you weren't cycled yet, but checked the first post and saw that you already did :lol:. Do you mean for the bio filter to catch up to the amount of waste produced by your fish?

By adding the damsels first, you are going to make it hard to add new fish and have them be successful unless they match the damsels belligerence. If you wanted to have a damsel, it should be the last addition to a tank, when all the other fish have established their territories.

I started with 2 small ocellaris clownfish. Clownfish are damsels but they are not nearly as aggressive as other members of the damsel family. In fact, my two clowns are the most peaceful fish I have in my tank

You aren't necessarily doomed. My yellowtail damsel is so far the most timid fish I own. Doesn't bother anyone, including the firefish who is scared of his own shadow. It depends on the fish and the situation. Plenty of space to roam and lots of hiding places in the rock help.

My wife and I have found that blue-green chromis are friendlier and just as hardy as damsels. They don't attack fish. And in some cases can make scared fish come out more. Damsels get to big and mean to keep. Unless you have a predator tank. But I never fish cycle either. I used ammonia or raw shrimp.

Maya said:
You aren't necessarily doomed. My yellowtail damsel is so far the most timid fish I own. Doesn't bother anyone, including the firefish who is scared of his own shadow. It depends on the fish and the situation. Plenty of space to roam and lots of hiding places in the rock help.

I hate my yellow tail so much... wish u could by damsel X that would insta kill the mean nastly litle mean fish he is...?

Wow! You should get rid of any fish you feel that strongly about and replace it with something that makes you happy.

You can buy a fish to take care of damsels. But only at the risk of every other fish. It is a soap fish. Lol. I'm joking. Damsels should be added last. Defiantly.

Of course.... stay away but when i cycled tank i used those guys....( let the flames begin) any how he's the last one i kept the prettiest... and added rock now the guy hides when i try to get him out.

Back
Top Bottom