Best types of Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YourPalCM

Aquarium Advice Regular
My LFS has SEVEN different types of Live Rock...

* Tonga Branch
* Kaelini
* Tonga Slab
* Cultured Fiji
* Cured Tonga
* Nano Rubble Rock
* Solomon Island

Is there a major difference between any of them? Is one better than another?

(FWIW, I'm setting up a 75g FOWLR tank.)

I do not put a lot of stock in buying LR from the LFS because who really knows where it came from. More than likely it was base rock that they seeded there at the store. I would go with what looks best to you (visible life and coraline growth) for the money.

Unless you are setting up a reef right away or planning on the rock to be your primary filtration I would save my $ and buy mostly base rock and seed it with a small amount of LR and put the $ into better lighting to promote coraline growth or other equipment.

Basically all rock is LR in a few months it just may not have as much visible growth and hitchikers that may come on LR from an LFS or purchased on line. This is the route I went. I have only ever bought about 10-15# of actual LR.

If you are set on buying a large amount of LR up front I would check online. I have read many posts on some of the quality stuff out there that I am sure others can comment on from first hand experience.

HTH,

I would suggest the rocks that appeal to your likes. Also, go for LR that has more surface area, in order to cultivate more beneficial bacteria.

I prefer choosing the rock based upon size and weight. If it is huge and porous, filled with funky caves and holes, I consider it. If it is as heavy as a cinder block, but is only the size of a football, put it back!

I`m a little bit on the other side as I picked all 200 LBS of my LR at my LFS. 2 reasons are that I could pick my own sizes and shapes. Online is cheaper but you just have to take what you get and then you have to cure it but most times the LR at LFS is already cured. The other reason is that I dont like surprises. (mantis shrimp and bad crabs and fire worms) The only surprise I got was a Black sailfin blenny in 200 lbs of rock that I saw anyway. The only downside to buying from LFS was 8.99 lbs x 200lbs = 8O

If it is huge and porous, filled with funky caves and holes, I consider it

Well said. I call'm nooks and crannies.

Pull'm out the tub. Try to fit them into each other and see what you like. Like said before, forget the "chunks" that just weigh a lot. Look for rock with "character" (you'll know it when you se it). I found a 20-30 lbs piece on day that had a 5' hole right through the middle of it. It's my centerpiece rock now.

I'd stay away from the fist sized rock. Very hard to construct with it.

Check the pics out. With the dry rock, some of the fun was assembling pieces together with marine putty to make arches or whatever. See the pic with the tang below. See the big hole in that rock near his nose. That rock has character IMO. 8)

I'd look close at the solomon's and also consider some of the rubble for your sump or fuge if you can.

I'd consider the

i get my LR for 2.99 or 3.99, but thats only becasue my best friend works there, haha

I have fiji rock and florida aquacultured rock in my tank.

I like the fiji because it is very porus and some pieces have nice caves. I purchased one piece last week that has a lot of tube worms, small feather dusters, and some 'flea' like creatures.

Some of the fiji has nothing but some coralline algae.

My florida rock is double the cost $12 a lb! But it is all covered with algae, purple, pink, orange and has plant growth and different coral. No animals though.

If I would have gotten it online you get what you get...cant pick out your pieces. I think its fun to go in the tank and pick what you want!

Courtney

austinsdad said:
Well said. I call'm nooks and crannies.
I got that from you. I should have footnoted it! LOL!
Ack, I have seen LR in stores from $8.99-12.99. If I were starting a new tank. I would get some LR from the LFS....I like to chose, and buy a lot more base rock, online....

Back
Top Bottom