Bicolored Blenny???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm thinking about adding one to my tank.

I don't have any personal experience with them, but I have only heard good things about the bicolored and midas blennies. Very active and fun fish.

I have two in my 125. Both turned all black (or is dark blue?). I had one that died after 5 years, so these guys are relatively new (about a year).

They each have their favorite rock holes to dart in and out of, but also dart from rock to rock. They let the big fish grab the nori first, them come for their nibbles. When I had only 1 it was probably the most entertaining fish to watch. Two more than doubles the fun.

The two occasionly squabble, but that lasts about 30 seconds before one them stops chasing the other.

If you have a 30 gallon or larger I highly reccomend this fish.

I have a 30g now that I think I am going to put 1 in for sure. I'll post pics when I get it in there... Thanks for the info!

Cmor, do you know why it changed colors and if this is common? I've done some looking around on the internet and haven't seen that as a common occurence.

There`s alot of blennies that change colors. Kind of blend in with the scenery. I have a black sail fin blenny that changes color all the time.

Ok, that sounds weird, unique, and interesting. I look forward to seeing how my little blenny acts in my setup...

Mine is very territorial and very hilarious. If a hermit crab climbs near his hole he'll bite its shell until it falls off. I couldn't imagine my tank without it.

So I got my bi color today and it isn't even bicolored. It is all black/that blackish color... Will it ever change to the bicolor?

He doesn't look like that. He looks more like this but a bit darker. He is in a QT hiding under some rocks for the last 24hrs so a picture might be hard to get...
416600-bicolor_blenny_thumb.jpg

He may be stressed or something and that is why he is looking like that. My tailspot blenny came with light colored spots down his body. A few days later the spots were gone and he was colored like the pictures.

Matt

That is what i thought and was hoping for... Ill post an avtual picture asap and after he de-stresses...

That is what i thought and was hoping for... Ill post an avtual picture asap and after he de-stresses...

I remember reading somewhere on the net that they also need a good diet and correct environment to "color up". So it seems he just needs some time to calm down, eat, and get comfy.

Matt

Im feeding him brine and mysis shrimp and also dried seaweed(red) while he is in the temporary QT... he has about 5-7# of LR a heatera koralia powerhead and a hob filter... Good environment and food?

Both of mine turned all dark. I was looking at them closely today and one of them seems to be getting some anterior orange again. They've been all dark for most of the year plus I've had them.

Ok, so I got a good look at the blenny today and there is a little tail color variation. He didn't stay out long enough to get apicture but I'll be trying to get a picture of him soon.

Back
Top Bottom