bio balls.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NAY!!!
Actually, bioballs do work okay and have for seveal years. However, there are much better options out there that have a greater benefit on the tank and do not require near the maintanance as bioballs. I recommend using LR rubble. It is a far superior filter media.

I have a couple pics in my gallery of my sump with LR rubble if you are interested.

I have bio balls in one of the compartments of my fuge but I am getting ready to replace them with LR rubble. According to his info it says 30 gallon tank and 45 lbs of LR

I have bioballs, they came with the sump/fuge I got (for free) for my 150 tank Im setting up.

I had heard bioballs can be nitrate factories so I was just lookin for opinions.

So as I understand it, they serve the same purpose as LR?

IMO the LR rubble serve a more useful purpose as they can harbour anerobic bacteria that will help to get rid nitrates as they also have some life on them that are great filter feeders. Maybe someone else out there has some other benefits.

I have no problem removing the bioballs, i figured since theyre there i'd use em, but LR rubble is fine and dandy too.

I have them and have had them for 17+ years. Dunno what "extra" maintainence is supposedly required, but I never touched mine...well except when I upsized my sump from a 10gal to a 20 long. All I did then was dump them from 1 sump to the other.
I do my normal bi-weekly water changes and that's it. If they are a nitrate factory like so many ppl say, my guys must be on strike :)

How does on go about switching to LR rubble - i want to do this, but didnt know if i could just get rid of the Bio-balls and put the LR rubble in the same day... My tank has about 200lbs of LR in it already... the rubble was going to go in the sump (Pro-Clear 75)

With plenty of LR in the main it should be pretty easy. I would replace half of the bioballs with LR rubble and wait a couple of weeks before removing the other half.

I agree with what has been said but I thought I would just add this. Mother nature knows best. Switch out to the LR rubble and add some Macro you and your tank will be much happier!

macro = "macroalgae reduce the available levels of phosphates and nitrites/nitrates, an excellent form of natural filtration."

It's also a great food source for Tangs, Rabbitfish, angels, etc.

Back
Top Bottom