Black pearl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niclutz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here's one for you-I swear I have a black pearl in my live rock-at first I tho't it was some weird bubble, but it's not popping! It's hard like a pearl. My live rock came from Fiji. So, is that possible-that I have a black pearl in there?

VALONIA AKA BUBBLE ALGAE
hhbad.jpg
These shiny bubbles can appear green or black in your reef. Usually when you notice it, it will be a single gleaming sphere. The bad thing about valonia is that it spreads rapidly. Some people have success getting rid of them with emerald crabs. I have found that just carefully removing them with tweezers works. More.
valonia.jpg

Xtalreef

I had my water tested today & explained the "black pearl" & that guy says it may be an urchin-I'm taking the live rock in to them in a couple days when I get my water tested again. It does look like the pic posted, tho', of the bubble algae.

I'm thinking the guy that tested my water may be right-a forming sea urchin b/c it hard, not soft like a bubble & I found the following picture-that's what it looks like except black:

Back
Top Bottom