Black slimey junk Updated with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quixand

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, over the last couple days I've gotten ALOT of black slimey junk on my sand bed. I tried sucking it today during water change, but ended up just stirring it into the first couple centimeters of the sand bed.

It looks like crap. And my cleanup crew are not eating it. Any suggestions as to what it is, and how to get rid of it?

slimear3.jpg

Slime Close-up

fullln7.jpg

Tank shot

macropc4.jpg

Macro of my Skunk.

sounds like it could be red slime .. increase flow lower nutrients increased water changes ... with out pictures hard to say definitely

I do 10% every week, use distilled water ( as I always have ) penguin 1140 PH. Good water movement.

Don't have a phosphate test kit, so couldn't tell you.
It's always been fine, just started this week.

Feeding about once a week right now. Tank is fallow minus the cleanup crew.

After reading the above posted article, I find no reason I should be having this right now. At all.

/boggle

Lights are brand new. About 2-3 weeks old.

Odyssea 130w dual 65w PC one 15000K bulb and one actinic.

Run them about 7-8 hrs daylight.

I'll try and get one when I get home tonight.
This morning, it was spread out again from all the little pieces I had broken up and stirred around. It looks like absolute crap, and I want it out.

Does it have bubbles in/on it?
What kind of filtration are you using?

Roka,

I'm user a marineland hob with purigen mesh bag and plastic filter medium. No carbon.
A Aquac Remora hob skimmer.

I've got all the best filtering in place I can have for nitrate reduction, and I'm using the same water I always have. I'm really puzzled.

So...I think I realized what may be my issue. My PO4 must be through the roof, cause I've been cleaning the front and sides of the glass alot with my new magfloat, cause my cleanup crew isn't doing jack to keep it all clean the way I like.

I have 1 turbo snail, 7 narrius snails, 2 hermit crabs, and a cleaner shrimp.

Knowing that, besides PWC (which I did last night) how do I get this junk out? I suppose I must lower the PO4 somehow, but my python sucks out too much water too fast, LOL and I still haven't mastered the art of vacuuming the sandbed. :p

I'm sure it's not a problem, but just to be sure, what are your nitrate readings? Cyano comes from a few things....

Low flow (so make sure you have flow directed at the sandbed). Even in tanks with high flow, it's still possible to have dead spots if the flow isn't directed correctly.

High nitrates (they kinda feed the cyanobacteria)

Phosphates

Old lights (which break out of the blue spectrum over time, which can cause growth)

With all that in check, you can try adding something to keep the sandbed surface disturbed like...hermits or nassarius snails. But that's more a band-aid fix at the moment.

EDIT: Just noticed you edited your post after I responded. :)
Dead and dying algae can be a cause for nitrates as well, as it decays in the tank. A reading may help.

My nitrates BETTER be at 0ppm when I check them again tonight.

I have a Purigen filter bag in the HOB, and a pretty expensive high quality skimmer. NO3 was at 10ppm BEFORE I added the skimmer and Purigen.

High nitrates and my shrimp would have died off. He's doing well, actually just molted again on saturday.

**EDIT**

Yeah, so my nitrates are STILL at around 5ppm.

How is this possible????

I thought either the skimmer or Purigen alone would drop it from 10 to 0ppm. And I just did a PWC yesterday.

/bangs head.

Went to get a phosphate test kit, however my lfs didn't have one. Will get one from another lfs tomorrow.

Definitely cyano ...
Treat the cause , by reducing lighting period , reduce feedings. Increase flow , and water changes, also replace filter media ...Also syphon off what you can you will probably need to replace that sand over time 4-6 ounces each time a couple times a week to give the bacteria time to move in ...

How about your source water for PWC`s and top offs. Where is it coming from and have you tested it. Sometimes we add nitrates and phosphates into our tank from our source water. Also get a 5/8-3/4 hose and when you do a PWC try to draw it out. A bigger round hose will help to pull it out.

Ok. Well. I'm only on like a 6 hr light cycle, I have more than enough movement in the tank for a 30 gallon tall, I do 10% PWC EVERY week, I use distilled water that I have always used from Wal-Mart, (my buddy uses the same and has been for over 4 years with no problems), and use Purigen filter medium.

This all just started over the last week. And I have added NOTHING new to the water. My same buddy uses the same salt and water as I do, and has no issues.

I could understand if I were using tap water, but this is distilled, and contains nothing.

Back
Top Bottom