Blood Red Fire Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pimp My Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a 10 gallon FOWLR with 5 margaritas, 1 bumblebee snail, 2 hermit crabs, 3 nassarius snails, and a yellow clown goby. The tank is almost 4 months old and I want to add something to the tank.I was thinking of getting a shrimp since I don't really want more fish (My goby entertains me enough).
I was looking at some and thought that fire shrimp were pretty cool looking. Is it okay to get one with my aquarium and if not, what are some other cool things I can add to my tank?

You should be fine he is a cleaner shrimp so he will help your goby out but if big enough might look at your snails for lunch

Nah they won't eat snails and won clean your goby either. But they are fine in that tank an very cool looking

They are part of the cleaning family though and have been know to help fish the snail eating is highly unlikely but I have heard of it before

They are part of the cleaning family though and have been know to help fish the snail eating is highly unlikely but I have heard of it before

They are cleaner shrimp but really only clean larger fish. I've never seen them clean a small fish.

Fire shrimp are nocturnal so you won't see it much. It will hide during the day and only come out at night. Cleaner shrimp are awesome and fun to watch.

Do shrimp need any additional care?
I haven't had to do anything additional. It eats pretty much anything that it can grab. They are sensitive to high nitrate levels and high fluctuating water parameters. Just make sure you match up the ph, temp, and salinity when doing water changes. Also no copper based medications.

I have a fire shrimp. He is very cool. I have heard they are nocturnal, and a lot of people never see thiers, but I got pretty lucky with mine. He does have his home on the back side of the the rock work, but he is almost always in view, and not a bit shy. When I have to get in the tank for any reason, he likes to come "taste" my fingers, and he is hte first one to the front of the tank when I feed. I have not done anything special for him, he seems to do just fine being himself. He has even molted a couple of times.
I would highly recommend one!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390109719.604459.jpg

I got a fire shrimp today! He is very cool looking and seems to be exploring the tank!

Hey guys my shrimp molted today is that normal? Also what do I do with the molten body?

Back
Top Bottom