Blue jaw trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of eel did you get? I love my zebra.

Snowflake. He already found the rock I drilled out for him with dozens of tunnels. He's so cool. He actually comes out unlike my last eel. He's about 6-8" and eating shelled shrimp on the first day

That's good. My zebra is my favorite fish. I hand feed mine kreel, shrimp, and scalops. Stays in the rock for most of day, but comes out at night.

Blue jaw is finally used to the new tank and swimming around like he owns it.

Attachments

• image-3194034925.jpg
    image-3194034925.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 92
How many days has he been in your tank? My two are still a little on the shy side. Staying mostly in the rock and only occasionally coming out.

If you have a smaller tank and you like triggers, you may want to consider certain filefish. Some stay pretty small and swim very similar to triggers. They display similar behavior too, going by what you guys are witnessing. Unfortunately they are not as attractive, but they have their own allure.
Filefish

How many days has he been in your tank? My two are still a little on the shy side. Staying mostly in the rock and only occasionally coming out.

Two days. He's still a little shy but he came out for a few hours and ate today.

Mine are doing that too. Will come out a few mins but go back in. My male is smaller than female and comes out less. Which sucks because he is the pretty one.

Mine are doing that too. Will come out a few mins but go back in. My male is smaller than female and comes out less. Which sucks because he is the pretty one.

I kind of coaxed my trigger out with a little piece of squid and guided him to a rock with a piece of squid tied to it. He came out in the open and ate and stayed out for a few hours before the lights went out and he went to sleep in his cave.

Haven't been able to get my two to eat while I'm standing in front of tank yet. I have seen them eat from a distance. My zebra eel will eat from my hand which I think is cool. My triggers and chromis get the left overs.

ForumRunner_20130909_051511.jpg

They will eat. Mine took a few days for me to actually see them eat, but I suspect that they were eating sooner.

I could be wrong but eels have bad eye sight, that being said id be careful hand feeding him

That's correct. When hand feeding morays in the wild or captivity, they are near sighted. They have excellent smelling capability, but need to be within inches of the food to see it. This is how people get accidentally bit. In the wild, I have had them swim into my buoyancy compensator (BC) looking for food. Once in Hawaii I had to abandon my dive gear on the bottom because a 3' spotted moray named "Snaggletooth" (and he was full of teeth) got under my BC against my skin and decided he liked it there.

First two shots are spotted morays, third one is a Hawaiian conger moray. It's that second one that was called Snaggletooth (he had a tooth poking out on his right side) that a few seconds after taking this picture he decided to join me on my dive.

Attachments

• image-2488594466.jpg
    image-2488594466.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2759977062.jpg
    image-2759977062.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 69
  • image-2996280845.jpg
    image-2996280845.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I could be wrong but eels have bad eye sight, that being said id be careful hand feeding him

True but its just like hand feeding a trigger its a risk but if the reward is worth it to you then go for it. I personally hand feed all the time and also ended up being but by my clown trigger most likely due to that reason but even still I hand feed to this day and have gotten my snowflake to take shrimp from my hand

True but its just like hand feeding a trigger its a risk but if the reward is worth it to you then go for it. I personally hand feed all the time and also ended up being but by my clown trigger most likely due to that reason but even still I hand feed to this day and have gotten my snowflake to take shrimp from my hand

I still hand feed morays. It is highly discouraged in the wild now but I've been doing it for over 30 years and still haven't been bit. They appreciate a piece of fish. Trick is to just release the food under their nose.

I have been bit by my zebra eel and while startling doesn't hurt or break skin. More of a crushing than piercing. Use to have a niger that would steal krell from me as was feeding eel. New triggers came out more today and ate some frozen and pellet food.

update on my trigger. He tried to kick my yellow belly hippo out of her bed aka her rock cave. He met the wrath of the tang but neither are injured and he found a new rock. Shes much bigger than him so hopefully they establish their separate sleeping spots. Funny to watch. Neither tried to attack the other but he definitely knew he wasnt welcome so i built him a cave of his own just below hers and he took to it instantly.

Back
Top Bottom