Brittle Star and Live Rock Questions HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok I just got my LR from Liverocks.com and know and behold it came with a small little Brittle Star hidding in the rocks... He seems to be approx 2".. The live rock was Shipped overnight and from the paperwork states that it does not go thru the normal curring process and it was fresh when sent..

My first question is... There were lots of living creatures on and in the LR.. Crabs, B. Star, bristle worms you name it it probably came with the LR.. Since this is a Newly setup tank should I get some food in there for these guys? or should they be fine? There has been nothing in this tank prior to this LR..

My second question is.. This LR came Cured with a lb or so of LS.. Am I going to see a normal Cycle??? From what I was informed because of all the living bacteria and such it should not and should be ok for fish.. I dont want my newfound friends to die or suffer.. I was informed to do 5-10% Water changes on a weekly basis

Please advise as I was not Imagining this much life on this LR.

James

I also found a Mine Urchin in the LR.. At least thats what it looks like.. I have since the previous post spotted 2 more brittle stars.. And I keep Hearing this clicking coming from the Tank.. I think it might be a Mantis, Which I Surely dont want.. The life on this LR is amazing.. Anyone please help me.. For now the light is off so i can see what other interesting creatures emerge

TIA,
James

cj10488 said:
My first question is... There were lots of living creatures on and in the LR.. Crabs, B. Star, bristle worms you name it it probably came with the LR.. Since this is a Newly setup tank should I get some food in there for these guys? or should they be fine? There has been nothing in this tank prior to this LR
For the most part, the die off and remaining algaes will feed a majority of the animals that come in on the rock. Be very careful if considering foods as they will increase the amount of ammonia and hamper any efforts to preserve the "hitchikers". I would also recommend some water changes to keep the ammoina levels down depending on the amount of die off. If they get too high, the animals will not survive.

My second question is.. This LR came Cured with a lb or so of LS.. Am I going to see a normal Cycle??? From what I was informed because of all the living bacteria and such it should not and should be ok for fish.. I dont want my newfound friends to die or suffer.. I was informed to do 5-10% Water changes on a weekly basis
Do not add fish for at least a few weeks yet. Test and monitor the NH3 and NO2 levels over that time. Fish at this point would be putting the cart before the horse. Even though the LR was shipped overnight, there will still be die off and will cause ammonia and subsequent nitrite. Once the tank ahs been running a few weeks without trouble then you can entertain the prospect of fish. You should also be preparing your >>quarantine tank<< at this stage. Once a new fish is purchased, it should be quarantined for 4 weeks prior to introduction to the main tank to prevent the possibility of contaminating it with parasites or pathogens.. While the fish is in QT, the main tank will be doing it's thing and in 4 weeks both should be ready. Be sure to properly >>acclimate<< the fish to both the Qt and the main tank when ready.

I also found a Mine Urchin in the LR.. At least thats what it looks like.. I have since the previous post spotted 2 more brittle stars.. And I keep Hearing this clicking coming from the Tank.. I think it might be a Mantis, Which I Surely dont want.. The life on this LR is amazing.. Anyone please help me.. For now the light is off so i can see what other interesting creatures emerge
The critters will be fine providing you are mindful of possible ammonia and are prepared with ready made saltwater at the same temp, ph and SG of the main tank. The "clicking" could be either from a mantis or pistol shrimp. They are rarely easy to catch but some types of commercially made traps can get lucky. :p

Cheers
Steve

If its aquacultured rock from florida, then it might be a mantis shrimp. In my old tank I had 60lbs of LR i had ordered from TBSW, and removed 3 mantis shrimp from it. Basically there a couple ways to get rid of them. First off, you could get one of the Mantis shrimp traps (I havent used one, but I hear they work). Or you could dip the rocks in pure RO and he should scurry out. I also hear that dipping the rocks in SW with a high salinity (greater than 1.028 will make them scurry out too. Good luck, those buggers can wreck havoc on a snail or hermit population.

I have heard the same thing about dipping the LR like Jay mentioned. When you dip it the critters should scurry out and you can pick out the ones you want and put them back in the tank...the others such as the mantis, pistol, and bristle worms (you wanna get rid of them too i think) you can get rid of. :wink:

The way we tell our customers to get mantis shrimp out is to place a raw shrimp in front of the powerhead so that the smell of it goes all around the tank, mantis know food smells!! Look hard at the LR and try to find movement of the mantis. If you are able to spot him place a trap by his hole with the food. Works 85% of time!

I will try the Shrimp Idea.. Thanks Guys.. Is there anything else that can make that clicking noise??? I have been looking extremely hard and cannot find any shrimpy looking things.. The only things I have managed to see was a few brittle stars, Mine Urchin, Misc crabs, and a few snails.. All are still there.. Well I havent seen the brittle stars today since i got back from labor day camping but I am quite sure they are in there.. I searched in the dark and have not seen any shrimpy looking things peeking or nothing.. Can crabs make clicking noises.. I believe when the rock arrived there was a dead Mantis that i found and tossed.. He feel down the garbage disposal before I could get a close look....

Thanks Much Guys,
James

Back
Top Bottom