Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turkeytamer3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, new to this forum and have a new 100 gal fowlr tank. Tank cycled and I have added a yellow watchman goby, pistol shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp and a cleanup crew. Since I have added them I have had the lights on and there is a lot of brown algae. I have read that I need to treat it and I have also read that it will take care of itself. Any advice would b appreciated. Thanks!

Do you leave the lights on all the time? How long has the tank been set up for? We "helped" remove the diatom from our newly cycled tanks by vacuuming some of it up at water changes. It seemed to move it along a little faster. :)

It will take care of itself but as most new cycling tanks do u will have the brown alge I have a 10 gallon fowlr and I have 3 snails and they seem to do a pretty good job of cleaning it up but a tank your size need way more snails and I wiped it of a couple of times let my filter do its job

If it's diatoms, no need to clean it up. Just wait until they consume all the silicates in your tank. Removing them will just postpone the inevitable. Best to let it run its course in a new tank.

If it's diatoms, no need to clean it up. Just wait until they consume all the silicates in your tank. Removing them will just postpone the inevitable. Best to let it run its course in a new tank.

+1 Agreed.

Most likely diatoms which are expected in a new tank setup. They will burn themselves out within a few weeks so no need to get worried. :)

How can you tell if it is algae versus diatoms? My 75 has been going about two months now and is getting a lot of what I thought was algae in the last week or so.

crister13 said:
We need parameters. Algae is caused by excess nitrates and phosphates.

Also i belive if your phosphates test low or at zero but you still have an algae problem, just remember the algae basically consumes the phosphate so it wont show on tests. But if you scrub algae and kill it, the decaying algae will release phosphate back into the water and restarts the whole cycle and more algae will thrive. Good just scrub and vaccum out as much as possible

when i cycled my tank the brown algea did not go away so i bought some snails, and within two days gone,have never had a problem after that. and i have a 200 gallon tank, so they had alot to eat, it was really amazing to watch, a clean up crew you have to have snails crabs etc.

I had same thing and the snails do help and there fun to watch eat

Back
Top Bottom