Brown algea problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loach23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok my tank has been up and running for almost 2 months and I have brown algea everywhere on the LR, sand, very little on the glass. In a 20g tank tall. I used all LR no base rock about 20-30lbs. I was using tap water no I just ordered a ro/di 100gpd portable unit for $70 on eBay didn't get it yet will this fix my problem. And how long? And do I do a very large water change with ro water when I get the unit?

Right now I have a Coralife 2x65w fixture 1 10,000k and 1 50/50 10,000k blue. I barely have the lights on because if I leave it on, in a hr the whole tank is covered. How do I get it off the LR as well

Clownfish767 said:
BTW Astraea Snails will eat brown algae. they will clean your LR[/QUOTEare turbo snails ok my LFS has them not Astraea snails. Aren't they from the same family

Ok the link you posted is for freshwater it says to add a pleco. And my light is very good. Brown algea is diff from salt to fresh. I believe. My question is that I believe it's do to my tap water but I have a freshwater tank and a salt tank my freshwater tank don't have any algea in my fresh water and it's heavily planted and alot of light my saltwater does, and I'm at over 5watts per gallon on the salt so that is deff enough light. When I get the ro/di unit will this cure it. And how much of a water change do I do with the ro water.

I think its from phosphorus in your tap water... The turbo snails will still eat it so they will help. If they fall over they die so if you ever see one on its back flip it over haha. For now i would just be doing water changes constantly, and buy some turbos until your filter comes in.

Yea that's what I figured my only question is how much of a water change do I do with the ro water. Would 50% be ok then a day or 2 later do another 50% .

And once you get the filter i would just do a 50% water change when you get it then regular water changes weekly after.

If the algae is still growing fast 2 days after the 50% change do another if not problem solved :)

K thanks. It doesn't arrive till Friday so we will see this weekend as for now I'm just keeping the lights off.

I would do some larger than normal pwc's for the first while it will help. as with all new tanks you end up with the brown stuff, I've got it in my cube already too.

it's usually better to solve a problem rather than putting in a bandaid like CUC. I would recommend some crew though if you don't already have some. :-D

You should be testing your water to see what is causing the algae..Since the tank is only 2 months old it could be a diatom. I have that happening in my tank right now as my tank is about 5 weeks old.. My reading says that a diatom will go away as fast as it came you just have to give it a bit of time.. High nitrates and phosphates will cause algae problems.. Ive read that over the first year or so you are gonna get algae outbreaks now and then its all part of the tank maturing.. The R/O will definitely help.. How long do you run your lights every day? Shortening your lighting schedule will help too, I run my 10,000K for 8hrs a day and my actinic for 10Hrs a day..

Shane.

As of right now I'm keeping my lights off I was keeping them on for 10-12hrs a day but as soon as I noticed the brown algea break out I turned all lights off I might have it on for 2-3hrs a day now I don't want it to get out of control. I'm pretty sure it's from my tap water. I don't have a tds meter so I'm not 100% and my tank is cycled I didn't use any base rock all live rock ( premium) with nice coraline algea on it. Fiji rock to be exact. My readings are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate .5.

The probable reason that your FW tank doesn't have algae and your SW does is due to the plants. The plants are taking up all the nutrients so algae isnt getting a chance to grow.

Back
Top Bottom