BROWN growth / I’m a SW newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chimbica

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone !

So I’ll start off by saying hello !

I have a 55G , Fluval G6 with two small live rocks, two mated pair clown fish (approx 4years of age) one cleaner shrimp and an anemone. Fluval lighting (forgot the name but I know it’s a proper one because I went to a salt water speciality store to purchase it)

I rescued these clown fish over a year ago when a friends neighbor was down on his luck and being evicted and couldn’t take them with him. So I did !

My clowns ( Coral & Marlin ) have been thriving ever since.

I unfortunately had to go to Puerto Rico for work for two months, just got back this week.

My mother has been feeding, water changing, filter clean out etc the best she could for me.

Came home. Fish are happy (they eat from my hand)

Got them a new rock set and a cleaner shrimp (already they let him clean them!!)

BUT !! A brownish GROWTH is all over my sand.....I cleaned the filter (G6) and did a 15% water change.

Also! I have a saltwater book — says that topping off when water evaporates , that the salt doesn’t evaporate which makes sense because my PSU reading is 35 and my filter would notify me. So the book says to top off with freshwater (I would prefer RO water but I live up in the mountains and the closest place is 3hrs away) thoughts ??

Any chance someone could guide me ? Thanks!!!!IMG_0065.jpgIMG_0064.jpgIMG_0061.jpgIMG_0066.jpg

Diatoms, most likely.

The new rock, if I understood correctly -you got new SW rocks? Did you add rocks or replace them?

Diatoms grow because of silicates in the water, new rocks could have added it, and also your water that you are using.

RO is the preferred water, you can buy slower units for $70 to 100. They don't process water very fast.

The tap water has stuff in it which doesn't maintain the cleanest environment for the SW tank.

+1 for the above. It looks like diatoms or maybe cyano. You can vacuum it off pretty easy from the sand usually. If you aren't using RODI water then algae blooms will be common like this one. If you are that far away from a LFS to get RODI water you can easily get a good unit online that will ship to you. You should also get a small clean up crew, they help prevent algae from taking over

Diatoms, most likely.

The new rock, if I understood correctly -you got new SW rocks? Did you add rocks or replace them?

Diatoms grow because of silicates in the water, new rocks could have added it, and also your water that you are using.

RO is the preferred water, you can buy slower units for $70 to 100. They don't process water very fast.

The tap water has stuff in it which doesn't maintain the cleanest environment for the SW tank.

Algae was there two weeks before rocks.

I’ll order some RO water today online ASAP !

Also? Random...I woke up planning to do a BIG WC

Yesterday all I did was top off evaporated water, about 5G and added some prime.

My usual 35 PSU went down to 30, was going to correct today with WC.

But !!!! Woke up and my anemone looks amazing and ummmm the algae is all gone ?!?!

Am I having a spooky Halloween hallucinations?!? Lol

IMG_0001.jpg

Algae was there two weeks before rocks.

I’ll order some RO water today online ASAP !

Also? Random...I woke up planning to do a BIG WC

Yesterday all I did was top off evaporated water, about 5G and added some prime.

My usual 35 PSU went down to 30, was going to correct today with WC.

But !!!! Woke up and my anemone looks amazing and ummmm the algae is all gone ?!?!

Am I having a spooky Halloween hallucinations?!? Lol

View attachment 310858

My mom thinks it’s the filter, I did a full clean out of it as well. She thinks the filter is now working better ??*♀️

And after 40min with light back on, algae is back [emoji23] I’m loosing it.

Cyanobacteria. Points out excess nutrients in the water column.
Increase flow in the system and some larger water changes with ro/di water.
Also, you’ll need to increase the amount of rock in the system. One lbs per gallon as it is the main biological filtration in most of our saltwater systems.

Cyanobacteria. Points out excess nutrients in the water column.
Increase flow in the system and some larger water changes with ro/di water.
Also, you’ll need to increase the amount of rock in the system. One lbs per gallon as it is the main biological filtration in most of our saltwater systems.

Thank you!! I’ll get some more rocks [emoji5]

If your cyano is getting out of control, the LFS recommended ChemiClean to my wife for her problem. It requires heavy aeration during treatment and will rid your tank of the stuff, but it will just come back unless you can address the source of the problem. I'd also caution using it with some anecdotal experience; the heavy use of airstones during the treatment stressed her green chromis out so badly it passed away and a number of her corals shrank and never seemed to fully recover:confused:

Easiest way to solve this is partial water change, clean filtration and most importantly, VACUUM the sand!!! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom