Brown spots algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys what are these brown spots?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110409_184327.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110409_184327.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 139
hackteck said:
yes its shows up to me it looks like diatoms

So I will need to get more snails and crabs, eh? I only have 1 crab and 2 snails. It is a 55g.

Looks like diatoms to me. Happens to newly cycled tanks right after high nitrate or nitrite levels. Clean up crew and time will get rid of them

Well what I would do is get a few snails and like 1 or 2 turbo snails. They go to town on the algae. Although if the algae is really long u can take the rock out and scrub it with a sponge or old toothbrush because some nails will not eat it if it gets to long. And yes it is def diatoms. It's really nothing to worry about. They will go away I'n like a week.

Well I can't get any snails until Friday. LFS is out.
Hope the algae won't ruin my water quality until then? I don't know much about this stuff.

Nah I don't think it will just keep up on ur normal water changes and it'll be fine. It happens to mostly everyone

i have the same problem. What is the best snail,fish,shrimp, or etc with a small bioload that will clean this up.

Diatoms come and go for a while with new tanks.. You will be fine till friday.. Usually once the tank has been up and running for around a year you dont get them anymore..

Shane.

Back
Top Bottom