Bubble Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blondinkaya

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not sure where to post this, but my tank is FOLR, so here goes ...

My tank finally finished cycling, and over the weekend, hubby decided to go to the LFS and pick up a few snails and crabs to put in it. I didn't notice until later that one of the snails has what looks like to be bubble algae on its shell. It's perfectly spherical and green (a single one), so I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

How do I get it off the snail without hurting it or contaminating the tank (you're supposed to avoid popping the bubble, right)?

Thanks for any advice/tips!

I would pull the snail out and remove it. But a pic would help in the ID process, just to make sure.

This is the best pic I could come up with this morning--I've had way too much coffee!

Now, when you say to take the snail out and remove it, it should just come right off then? Will any damage be done if it pops? Would it pop?

Thanks for the help!

img_696040_0_b8eb5c6f293d743c965a251ad1254062.jpg

You can probably just scrape it off with a knife and then wipe it with a napkin and replace the snail. If you squeeze it, then it might pop.

Thanks so much, I just took care of it. It came right off with a knife, and as I was wiping the shell, I noticed a smaller bubble and took that off, too.

I'll keep a close eye on my tank; how much and how quickly would this stuff propagate? I don't see it anywhere else, but then again, I missed that tiny bubble until I physically handled my snail.

Thanks again!

how much and how quickly would this stuff propagate?
That would depend on how much excess nutrience you have in your tank. I have never had bubble algae, so I couldn't tell you how fast it will propagate.

if it begins to propagate out of control, which i doubt, an emerald crab is good for removing them

Bubble alage will spread faster then you think. Take the snail out, get rid of the algae and put it back. Breaking it in the water will relsease spores and will cause it to spread. While emerald crabs a often suggested to help with bubble algae, I have yet to hear of them doing condiserable good with the problem.

i have this crap everywhere due to phosphates from unknown source but my 2 emeralds havent touched the stuff. thats my luck.
also, i think the emeralds make it worse due to the fact that they break the bubbles when eating. if you remove the crab im sure the problem would get worse very fast.i have 2 bubbles on a rock that i can not remove at this time and they have grown to the size of a rubber bouncing ball. im acctually curious to see how large they will get. man, when these things pop, its over.

lando said:
Bubble alage will spread faster then you think. Take the snail out, get rid of the algae and put it back. Breaking it in the water will relsease spores and will cause it to spread. While emerald crabs a often suggested to help with bubble algae, I have yet to hear of them doing condiserable good with the problem.

Agree. I started with a small patch of about 2 bubbles of bubble algae, that spread across my rock in thick "sheets". It does spread quickly, and definitley avoid popping the bubble. The spores can and will spread. Trust me. :?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11841&cat=500&ppuser=1656

This is just a small picture of mine.

Wow.

Thanks for all the advice! I did take the snail out and get the algae off (without popping it) and wipe the snail's shell down with a napkin before putting it back into the aquarium. I really hope that did the trip. I definitely don't want any nuisances in my tank!

Since I had the snail for only a week, do you think the algae could've multiplied and spread during that time? I keep checking my rocks and substrate, and I don't see anything ...

Back
Top Bottom