Bulb replacement!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcdwep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just want some advice on bulbs. I have purchased a CSL dual 175mh and 2 48" vho set-up. It is used and needs new bulbs soon. What is the best combination of lights for a general reef system? I am fixing to really get this tank (75g) of mine going.
Right now it is FOWLR(only 3 fish). But those days are limited. I am interested in adding some corals and other neat creatures. SO what vho's and MH's give a good overall light spectrum and where is the best place to buy them?
Thanks
JC

Check out CaptiveReefs.com, a site sponser. they are having a speical this month on MH bulbs. I believe it is even the Coral Vue brand. Otherwise, I have heard great things about XM bulbs, and you might want to consider the 20,000K if you want really high light type corals. JMO 0X

consider the 20,000K if you want really high light type corals. JMO
IME higher kelvin bulbs are not as bright as lower. 6500K appears much brighter than a 10000k or a 20000K. A cheap 10000K will shift spectrum quickly, a 20000K more so. Use higher kelvin bulbs for deep water corals or to enhance colors. Corals grow faster under 6500K. If you are going to supplement with actinic vho's I suggest 6500K. 10000K will be decidedly bluer. I don't recommend 20000K.

Mark

Thanks for all your advice. I will follow it! Maybe soon I can really get this thing up and going in the direction I want.
JC

Back
Top Bottom