Buying a Blue Dot Stingray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parkinglotninja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im expecting him in the next couple weeks. I've tried to do as much research as possible and I feel like in ready to take it in. However i haven't come across any info about compatibility and tank mates. Does anyone have a stingray or know what kinds of fish are compatible with stingrays?

I have a stonefish, moray eel, a couple blue damsels, chocolate chip starfish, work goby, and a bar goby that are currently inhabiting the the tank where the stingray will go but I have a 55 gallon tank for them if any or all of them are not compatible.

Thoughts? Or advice?

I'm getting him as an infant he'll be about 4 inches in diameter and maybe 7-8 inches long. Im going to have him in a 72 gallon tank for a few months and them he'll be moved to a 280 that is in the process of being put together currently.

Thank you got your help.

You need a huge sand bed for a stingray, and all you will see most of the time is a bump in the sand. I don't know if it's one of the more enjoyable predators to keep....

I currently have a crushed coral substrate which the guy at my local shop thinks is perfect (he says that's what he uses) however I think I'm going to invest in a sand substrate (at least half) next week.

The crushed coral will scratch the bottom of your ray for sure. There is special sand that is save for stingrays . I just got some from petsmart for my fw ray.

Do you know about how much it costs? Also does your ray have any tank mates?

It's 24 bucks for a 20 lb bag. You want non aggressive fish that stay at the top . Bottom dwellers are not good to put with rays. My ray is in with 3 discus.

When I say huge sand bed I mean the footprint, not the depth. I do not think crushed coral is ideal for rays.

Rays
"Bluespotted Ribbontail Ray (3) (aka the Bluespotted Stingray in the pet-fish trade). Indo-West Pacific, including the Red Sea. To fourteen inches in width. A commonly offered species in the ornamental marine interest, but rarely lives... due to shipping trauma, being kept in too-small quarters, lack of oxygen, scratches and subsequent infections."

SW Rays art Blunderall
"Some fishes should be avoided as tank mates for Rays. Not because they are a potential meal for the Ray, but because they will potentially prey on the Ray! Triggerfishes, Eels, and even large Angelfishes can pick on Rays and nibble on their long fleshy tails. This harassment and damage can lead to the death of the ray. Along those same lines invertebrates with large claws (i.e. some lobsters) are also to be avoided."

had a freshwater one. keep an eye on the tankmates.

Rays tend to get stressed easily.

they are pretty cool though, used to hand feed mine and he was so active, swimming up on the glass all the time.

They also stir up the sand bed quite a bit... Be prepared for sand storms.

such a cool fish tho,

Just don't get barbed... Hurts like a mofo, speaking from experience.

Back
Top Bottom