Buying fish online, comments, suggestions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

it512

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What dose everyone think about buying fish online?
If anyone has done this before, what websites do you recommend?
Anything specail that you need or need todo.
Any input would be great.
The reason I'm wanting to know, I'm looking for certain types of fish, I have not been able to find.
Thanks again.

Thats kinda what I was thinking, just wanted to see what others thought. I like the fact that liveaquaria has a 14 guarantee.

Saltwaterfish.com has some good reviews. I have only purchased snails from thatpetplace.com and was happy.

I've ordered from liveaquaria.com before.

The Yellow Clown Goby I ordered was very stressed when I got him and he subcame to ich and kinda wiped out my whole tank, but in all honesty it could have partially been my fault as well, I was new to everything and didn't acclimate him long enough so that only added to his stress. :oops:

I did also recieve snails and hermit crabs in the same order and they were as nice as I pictured and they even threw in a few extra in the order. :D

They seem pretty knowledgeable so I'd say its okay to go with them.

I've ordered from saltwaterfish.com before. Great fish and corals when they have them! I was very pleased with what I got. They actually gave me more than I paid for. I bought a couple individual ricordias of different kinds (2) and they sent me a small rock with like 4 on each little rock. Pretty sweet!

Online deals are always cheaper but I like to see what I buy and make sure they are OK.

Liveaquaria.com has a good guarantee in the event that your livestock does not pull through in 14 days. Honestly, the quality of the livestock isn't as good as I expected through a few orders I've placed.

Saltwaterfish.com were more impressive however, they only offer you a credit for a direct replacement in the future in the event that your livestock order doesn't make it.

I am thinking about ordering some inverts from saltwaterfish.com this week. I'll let you know how it goes!
Their prices seem good and I like the $18 for shipping.
:)

I like saltwaterfish.com, too. They have a minimum order amout of $79.00, which mounts up pretty fast, no problem at all!
Their prices seem good and I like the $18 for shipping.
And once you're a repeat customer, they offer you a freebie with each order, from a list which changes according to what they have. They offer a 15 day guarantee, and they give you a credit for the same item that died on your next order, as long as it's in stock. I do find that they are sometimes out of stock on lots of items, but patience is a virtue, right?

I want to thank everyone for your great advice, I think I'll try and see how it goes.

The big thing with online vendors for livestock is to make sure they have an "arrive alive" and 14day guarentee on their stuff. Also, check to mae sure they do not have any hidden packaging or box charges for shipping. I have used liveaquaria several times are have been happy. Just read ALL shipping information carefully.

I have found that you should always look at some LFSs to compare first. You would be surprised. Certain fish at one store might be considerably cheaper at another. Don't forget to account for your shipping costs.

Pete R.

I personally buy my fish from petsolutions.com because the LFSs around here don't have a large selection. I have absolutely no complaints about petsolutions.com at all. I have actually had worse luck with LFSs

Back
Top Bottom