Buying new light for 75g Tank, need advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbem2004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking at some different light fixtures for my 75 gallon FOWLR Tank. I am really kind of lost as to what is the best time of lighting. I am a little reluctant to go with MH lights, because of heat (I have a canopy on the tank).

Can anyone give me any recommendations on the following fixtures:

1)
Aquastarlight T-5 High Output Fluorescent Light Fixture $369
High output T-5 bulbs housed in a slim hanging fixture ideal for reef aquariums. Innovative reflector maximizes light output and T-5 bulbs distribute light evenly across the length of your aquarium for uniform lighting conditions. Features non-corrosive extruded aluminum housing, internal electronic ballast, reflector, protective glass lens, and two 72" cord. Includes steel wire hanging kit and 4-54 watt Aquablue (60% actinic blue, 40% 11000°K) T-5 HO bulbs. 48" x 8" x 3" high. 216 watt (4-54 watt bulbs).

2)
Orbit Compact Fluorescent Lunar Lights $254 (65watt) or $467(96watt)
Unique power compact lighting system simulates 24-hour day and night light cycle, ideal for reef aquariums with higher lighting requirements. Internal fan provides quiet and efficient ventilation. Includes Sun Paq bulbs (Dual Actinic are 420nm/460nm & Dual Daylight are 6,700°K/10,000°K), Lunar Lights, reflector, mounting legs, acrylic lens, two separate power switches and three independent power cords for lighting units. Square pin configuration.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Don't know about those lites, but check my profile for the stuff I'm keeping w/4x65 PCs. They're working fine but I'm 'bout to upgrade to 4x96s after the holidays.

austinsdad,

I am looking to have a similar setup to yours and I'm at the point of deciding on lighting. When you say you're looking to upgrade are you just replacing bulbs to get to the 4x96's or will you be replacing your entire hood?

I was going to start with 4 65's but if I have to purchase an entire new hood to upgrade I mine as well get 96's now.

If you went with a Hamiklton light fixture you can hang it from the cieling and raise it 8" off the tank. That should help hold the heat down. But since it is a FOWLR you really do not need MH. I would just get a good PC hood like a coralife Aqualight!

Back
Top Bottom