Can clownfish and yellow tailed damsels go together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjcatlin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have recently just started my first SW tank. It is a Fluval Spec V, 5 gallon tank. I am using damsels as starter fish and want to put in a clownfish (Nemo). I understand that the damsels are aggressive, and it would suck if a fish that is a whole lot cheaper causes a more expensive one to die.

I've had 5 damsels with 2 clowns and the damsels just fought with each other. I've since removed them and it seems like the clowns roam around a lot more now. What size tank do you have?

All sorts of problems here...Clowns need a larger tank. I would be shocked if your damsels did not pick on them, and probably one another, in a tank that size.

5 gallons is going to be tough to keep parameters in check. More than one, maybe two, fish is going to create too large of a bio load.

If you are a newbie to saltwater it's best to start off with a 55 gallon or bigger cause it easy to maintain and to keep your levels perfect

rjcatlin said:
I have recently just started my first SW tank. It is a Fluval Spec V, 5 gallon tank. I am using damsels as starter fish and want to put in a clownfish (Nemo). I understand that the damsels are aggressive, and it would suck if a fish that is a whole lot cheaper causes a more expensive one to die.

Sorry you cant have a "nemo" in a 5 gallon tank

If you are insistant upon sticking with a five gallon (I understand space and money can be an issue for many) I would definitely consider doing a reef (coral). In that tank you're going to have to get rid of the damsels and probably have one fish (a small goby). However with a reef, it will be very interesting to look at with all the colors. Remember coral are still animals! Plus lots of inverts. Good luck.

I'd take them back and look into some of the really cool nano stuff out there. 5 gallons is just going to be tough to keep everything in check, even for someone with experience. Nitrates will jump up quick. Salinity can increase if water levels drop. Temperature can bounce around based on room temps and you dont want any more than a 2 degree change in a day. It's just tough to maintain a healthy saltwater environment in such a tiny space. I think 30-40 is good for starters, but I would not be comfortable going much smaller, even with my several years of experience.

Reefs are great, but you would have to really watch your parameters closely. That is a delicate ecosystem that is not always tolerant of big fluctuations, which are very likely to occur in a 5g tank.

Nice job on the last couple of posts being civil! Lets keep it that way folks. The OP has been informed of the issue with the size of tank and his stocking list, lets keep the positive options coming.

I started the SW tank knowing about the risks and challenges involved. I just thought I would give it a try. If it doesn't work out I'll be upset sure, but it will be ok. It wouldn't be the first stupid thing I've ever done, it probably won't be the last either. Thanks for the input everyone.

i agree that the tank is two small for them to be happy or even not fight i have a 30 gallon and first two fish i put in where a yellow tail and a clown and th yellow tail tormented the clown and forced him to swim on his side at the top of the tank i brought him back and decided to buy another damsel but decided theywhere to boring just hide all day in my rocks so i then went out today and bought a larger clown along with a smaller one and now the yellow tails wont even bother them at all maybe because the larger clown protects the smaller one but everybody seems great

Back
Top Bottom