Can I Add Blue and Yellow Tang at Same Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njphin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an 80 gallon high tank with 20 gallon sump. I currently have 4 Chromis and 2 Clownfish. I would like to complete my stock by adding a blue and yellow Tang. I can get a very good price at my lfs if I get them at the same time. So would I have a problem adding these two at the same time? And will my stock be ok for an 80 gallon tank? Thanks

I wouldn't put two in period. 1 or the other, they need room to move. If the tank was 6ft long, I'd say go for it. I'm assuming the tank is 4ft or less so I recommend only 1. Plus, even added at the same time, in a smaller tank they may still fight over territory.

Ok. I would probably end up going with the blue. They have different size blue tangs, I'm going to go with the tiny size which is about an 1". Can the tiny ones still grow up to 12"? Also considering what I already have what other fish can I get with the blue tang to complete my stock if any? Really would like to take advantage of the lfs buy 1 get one half off:D

If you are talking about the regal blue tang, yes they can get to 12'' no matter how small you buy it. I think it takes around 5 yrs to fully grow. I'd say any more fish at all would be pushing it. You have 6 fish already. When I had my 75, it only had 5 fish and I thought it was a touch crowded. I wouldn't add anymore fish due to the fact of giving the fish room to swim around and having too much bio-load.

I would not add a Regal blue tang to that tank. You can probably get away with a yellow, but that still grow to 8". Tangs needs lots of swimming room. I recommend a 6' length tank at a minimum for tangs.

Agreed, I would go without the tangs. Chances are they will become too stressed and become sick, most likely with ich and infect your other fish and entire tank.

Disappointing to here being that I upgraded from a 20 to an 80 gallon so I could put blue and yellow tang in. I thought I saw some members with 75 and 80 gallon tanks with them in. I thought adding the chromis wouldn't add much bio load because of how small they are. I do appreciate the good advice.

If you look around you can find people with tangs in any size tank. It's just not responsible practice. Look into some butterflyfish, similar body type and just as active.

They may not overdue the bio-load, but just giving the fish room to swim around. Think of a tang as a cow(alot happier in a field than in a pen) A slightly understocked tank will be more rewarding than a tank that is packed full. 6 fish seems like nothing compared to some of the freshwater tanks the same size that may have 10-20 fish in them. But, the butterfly may be a good option.

Back
Top Bottom