Can i make my own water? Without ROU?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike-portocarrero

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I Was told I could make my own salt water by letting tap water sit for a few days them add stress coat,salt, and air stone also a water pump to circulate the water after that put a Heater to get the water to the same temp and that's it is this true? Any suggestions? Just spend on two saltwater tanks and can't afford a ROU just yet thanks

Hmmm. Your talking about distilling ur water. Try this route get a big pot take ur water boil it with a lid far to big. Devise some sort of collection unit that would sit outside the pot but under lid and run this till ur pots dry. That should remove everything from the water

Your best bet would be to buy distilled water in gallon jugs, you can buy it fairly cheap at a big box store or a gorcery store. Getting a RO/DI unit is a must, saves your back from lugging water home and it pays for itself in no time! :)

Thanks guys but would u explain the whole boiling water process a bit better I got confuse thanks

The problem with tap water is that there are so many things added to make it safe for us humans but bad for our reef tanks. All the stress coat will do is bind the ammonia in tap water but nothing will get the nitrates and heavy metals. If you are doing a reef then RO/DI is the only way to go IME. BTW I have an article in our SW articles section about Tap water. I work for a large water municipality in Va.

No i am not Doing a reef just fish I got an FX5 running on a 75 gallon with live sand and live Rock the thing is that I got another tank also salt water and I need to start doing water changes and can't afford a ROU right now so I wanted a solution for now until I get myself a ROU

Back
Top Bottom