Can I reuse my old uncured live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlea8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I was thinking about starting a quarantine tank for my saltwater tank for the sick fishes as well as new fishes so ensure they are disease free. I have all the components but I realized that the water would have to have some live rock as well as the water from my larger tank that is already cycled. I have some uncured rock that has been sitting in a box for about 5 months that I didnt use for my larger tank at the time. Is this rock still uncured and live and is it possible to cure it in my quarantined tank and use that live rock to cycle the tank instead of taking a piece of live rock from my main tank?

The answer is yes but it would be better to just put some filter media in your sump and let the bacteria colonize there. Then move that to your QT. After your done w/ QT, sterilize the media and put it back for re-colonization.

Curing the LR will take some time, having colonized media ready to go by placing some in your sump. If you don't have a sump, steal some from your HOB; run a small HOB on your main; put extra media in your canister that you can take out.

If you decide to use the LR don't put it in the display when you are done.

I would not put it in the QT. As suggested put some PVC sections in there instead. If you should have to treat the QT you wont be able to use it in your main.

so I should use PVC to direct flow to different area in Q tank.
probably should do that in my main tank as well, right?

PVC pipe is just used the QT to give the fish hiding places
lol, I bet I spent 20 minutes picking out the perfect PVC elbows and couplings to drop in my QT.
My tang was so impressed he spent his QT period hiding behind the heater...lol, oh well.

Back
Top Bottom