Can someone help me with starting a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike jones

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am gonna start 30 gallon long saltwater tank sense all my freshwater fish have out grown and are in my 80 I don't really understand about all the stuff you need and what It does can someone message me or something like that

IMO- Well you might want to start with some T5 HO lighting depending on what you want to put in there... I have FOWLR (fish only with live rock) and that lighting is great. Next a nice fine substrate is probably best. Don't forget a bucket of salt, I use Instant Ocean. Hydrometer to test salinity, a salt water test kit, and some power heads (enough to generate 30 to 50 times the amount of flow per tank size). I use a power
filter to run media depending on water parameters. You may/may not need a protein skimmer down the road depending on your bioload. I would plan on it just in case. Oh another thing you will need is PATIENCE and TIME...

And this forum will be able to help out a lot... What are your plans for the tank? What do you already have? details are key...

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now the tank is empty all cleaned out I've painted the back and bottom black and right
Now I was just thinking about putting a few fish in I'm not really sure what kinda i want an eel but I'm trying to take as much time as possible I was gonna put some white sand on the bottom but the place I'm confused at is like uv staralizer, sumps,protein skimmer. Would I be able to use a 75 gallon hang on the back filter a power head and 55 gallon heater?

First you need to cycle the tank, there's a million threads on here about that.. But If you're tank is empty, you can fill it and mix the salt right in it (with no sand in it) and let the power heads do the mixing for you...

And would I be able to use the hang on 75 gallon filter?

Don't see why not... You Won't need any media in it, just a sponge for now. What kind is it?

A whisper ex70 power filter

Attachments

• image-976195539.jpg
    image-976195539.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 160
Do you know any fish or eels that could live in a 30 gallon

There's a boat load of fish... Not too sure about an eel though, but I'm not too familiar with eels. Check out www.liveaquaria.com for fish, it tells you the tank requirements as well as all other requirements including compatibility...

I have one more question could I use regular well water and add 1/2 cup of instant ocean per gallon or do I need to buy my water from a aquarium store?

You should try to use RO water in a saltwater aquarium. I bought a cheap unit right now but it works great! purewaterclub.com.

No problem! Starting out in saltwater is SO different than a fresh water tank however once you get it cycled, adding fish and other things are cool! This site is a great tool for finding answers and learning new things. I've had saltwater fish on and off for 15 years and I learn new things every time I get on here not to mention I ask questions about some stuff I'm knowledgeable on to make sure there's nothing new out or a better way! There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum with great advice!

nikki_kaiser said:
You should try to use RO water in a saltwater aquarium. I bought a cheap unit right now but it works great! purewaterclub.com.

I've got an RODI unit from there as well, and mine has worked great for me. They're the cheapest around too. Comes fully assembled and everything. All I had to connect we're just a few hoses and the rest was already done. Would recommend one of these for someone on a budget.

What is a good mark to be at on the hydro meter or how ever you would call that I'm just now mixing my first 10 gallons of water

Your fish store probably has it at 1.021 or 1.22 and when I cycle I will cycle at that. I keep my established tank at 1.025 though.

Correction...1.022! As water evaporates just add fresh dechlorinated water or RO water to the tank. You won't do any water changes until the cycle is finished. Basically, you sit and wait for the bacteria levels to grow. Are you using live rock?

Back
Top Bottom