can you use tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If i may jump in here . Is this just for reef or fish only? The reason I ask because i live in Virginia beach and when i went to Atlantic sea farms the guy said the water here is good for fowlr. Since you work for the water company what is your opinion ?

Generally speaking, fish aren't as sensitve to the trace compounds present in tap water as the invertebrates are. However, they still have the potential to be algae fertilizer and just make the tank ugly, but not really harm any fish. Who wants to look at a slimed up tank full of cyanobacteria and hair algae?

Generally speaking, fish aren't as sensitve to the trace compounds present in tap water as the invertebrates are. However, they still have the potential to be algae fertilizer and just make the tank ugly, but not really harm any fish. Who wants to look at a slimed up tank full of cyanobacteria and hair algae?
An algae scrubber "usually" solves those problems ...Its also been said many times that algae scrubbers consume heavy metals and other toxins..

I agree that fish are not as sensitive as corals and inverts. You might get away with it in a FO or FOWLR tank but a reef no.

BTW I just noticed this is under the FO and FOWLR subforum. Sorry I thought we were talking reef here.

FTMMWS said:
What about running it through the house filtration systems first .The install guy swore to me it takes out all but TDS..Which he also tested for me and they were 42 that day..He said my area averages high 30's to low 40's ..

Just to clarify, the very metals, etc that everyone is concerned with contribute to TDS (Total Dissolved Solids). To put it in perspective, RO water typically has a TDS less than 0.1.

Back
Top Bottom