Can't find dead chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aadair22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought 6 green chromis a few days ago, and now there are 5.. I assumed this would happen, my problem now though is I can't find it and ammonia is rising in my tank.. I moved a couple of rocks but still no luck.. I don't want to move to much stuff around cause its just kicking up stuff that will cause more problems.. Not to mention I'd rather not squash my emerald crabs or anything else on accident :/

Any idea as to what I can do? Or do I just need to be doing massive water changes?

If you have an emerald crab, he'll eat the dead fish-thats why he's part of CUC. I'd do PWC to get ammonia down for sure. Adding 6 fish all at once seems like a lot to me, that could be why ammonia is rising. how long has tank been set up?

That was my first thought that the crab clean him up.. Tank has been running for about 8 months now.. 55g with about 65 lbs of live rock.. I thought the same thing about adding 6 fish at once, but my LFS didn't think it would be a big deal, plus the assumption that 1 or 2 would die.. Guess I'll do a good size water change and monitor the ammonia next couple of days

Yeah, I'd guess that it's the 6 fish all at once that spiked ammonia, especially if you've looked good for the fish and can't find him. Most LFS will tell you anything to get you to buy stuff, and if what they tell you gets your fish killed, then you just come back and get more and they get yet another sale. I wouldn't add any more than 2 fish at once, and then wait a week or two for another fish.

If you got 6 chromis it's normal for a few to die, from my personal experience the ones that don't die in the first 48 hours will live a long time in your tank. If your starting a school of fish it's always best to add them all at the same time also. Cool schooling fish tho & big eaters. Your emerald will defiantly eat the dead ones.

Back
Top Bottom