Cant we all just get along

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnice15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
O.K here is my situation....3 days ago we added a Tomato Clown and a Yellow Tang to the tank and everything was fine (other than the clown from time to time chasing the green chroma's around) Today we added a Heniochus Butterfly (gorgeous fish) and the clown would not stop attacking it. Things seem to have calmed down, but the butterfly has 2 small pieces of its tail fin missing from the clown attacks. So my questions are this:

1) Should I be concerned with the clown fish and the aggression it shows? Are they normally like this?
2) The butterfly seems to be swimming around just fine...should I be concerned with the pieces of his fin that are now missing? Or in the end it more of an aesthetics kind of thing?

I fed the fish about an hour ago and the butterfly ate just fine...so I am very happy about that.

In the end, I just want everyone to get along. Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!!!!

The missing tail nips will grow back. Hopefully they will get along fine but clowns are very territorial so keep a close eye out. If aggression continues shut the lights out for a few hours or move the rockwork around. If that fails then someone has to go. Good luck.

thanks for the advice.....I'll keep an eye on everyone and go from there. I see you have a Tomato clown as well. How long have you had yours? Does your clown act territorial as too?

Tomato clowns are quite territorial and get fairly large so the aggression is of no surprise. All fish go through an introduction phase where territories are established; you'll have to monitor them closely to make sure the actual bodily harm is kept at a minimal.

Funny you should mention things calming down in the tank....I've been camped out in front of mine for about an hour. Things do seem to be settling down. The clown doesn't seem very interested anymore in the butterfly, so I'm very happy about that. I'm also glad to hear that the butterflies tail nips will grow back.

I see you have a Tomato clown as well. How long have you had yours? Does your clown act territorial as too?

Mt tomato is 11 yrs old now. One of the first fish I bought. He is very territorial. Ever since he started things up with my hammer coral he seems to have calm down a bit.

100_1013.JPG

Sorry to butt in on a different sub, but How long and what type of hammer is that. I love it. so neat.
T.

Back
Top Bottom