Carbon Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont know if I can explain this but maybe if you have your pipework from your dt pointing down into your sump and lets say it is 1" pipe and the opening of the pipe is lets say 12" from the bottom of the sump maybe you could buy a piece of 2 1/2" pipe 14" long, suspend the purigen bag half way down the inside of the 2 1/2" pipe using cable ties or nylon string.cut the bottom of the 2 1/2" pipe at an angle of 45 degree's.place this pipe with the cut touching the bottom of the sump and the DT pipe inside the top of the 2 1/2" pipe.the dt flow would drain down inside the 2 1/2" pipe and out the bottom and also run through the bag.Maybe??????????

I dont know if I can explain this but maybe if you have your pipework from your dt pointing down into your sump and lets say it is 1" pipe and the opening of the pipe is lets say 12" from the bottom of the sump maybe you could buy a piece of 2 1/2" pipe 14" long, suspend the purigen bag half way down the inside of the 2 1/2" pipe using cable ties or nylon string.cut the bottom of the 2 1/2" pipe at an angle of 45 degree's.place this pipe with the cut touching the bottom of the sump and the DT pipe inside the top of the 2 1/2" pipe.the dt flow would drain down inside the 2 1/2" pipe and out the bottom and also run through the bag.Maybe??????????

Maybe a bit over engineered, but very thoughtful and creative David S. Thank you for the suggestion. ;)

Here's what I've done for now... (see photo) which seems to be working, but can be improved. I will explain my reasoning in the next post. Here, you see a view that is about 1/2 the 10.25" x 11.75" x 10.5"-11" high drain section of sump. Pipe from G-H 700 overflow 700 gph Overflow complete kit - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff (I tend to plug quality and very customer service oriented vendors; they've earned it!) leads into 1.5" recommended drain pipe. Design of cabinet and placement of sump required a 20 degree offset to place drain pipe comfortably in sump and close enough to tank wall to leave room for getting sock on and off (plastic sock ring snaps right over pipe joints..easy on/off!). Pipe adapter and barb fitting with approx 2" of black vinyl pipe to help deaden sound... few inches off glass bottom, just enough to get sock on but have pipe well below water line. Design of G-H overflow and their siphon break very thorough aerate drain water.

Ok. That's the plumbing.

For now, I placed the Purigen inside the sock. Purigen bag is very tightly packed (unlike Chemi-Pure bag), fits neatly in sock and gets full force of whatever is coming down that drain pipe.

Black bag under the sock is a Chemi-Pure purchased yesterday. Foreground and left is pump and air tube for a Reef Octopus installed last week. Anyone reading this who has seen the earlier design of this sump might see that the baffle (top down) which was on the left of bottom up baffle you see was removed to add 1" additional working room in drain section.

Area under sock has very active flow... in fact, generally very active flow throughout this section given the large drain and skimmer's output. Chemi-Pure bag is designed to allow flattening of contents... lots of room to shape the media and increase surface area....that said, I'm getting another bag and will test placing 2 in the sump baffle previously holding the Purigen (now in the sock).

Chemi_Pure under sock 00321.jpg

Update & My Take Away

So after lots of discussion here and with others... and taking into account the very passionate supporters here and elsewhere of Chemi-Pure and Purigen, I've decided to do a trial of both products.

I've also been in written communication with Seachem, regarding their view of how best to utilize the Purigen in my situation (given I'm not adding a canister or other device...at least for the short-term...in which to place either media).

Regarding the Purigen bag's integrity, I've had feedback from users who have cautioned either from experience or hearsay their view that the bag's are prone to rupture/tear. I cannot ignore that possibility albeit Seachem has assured me (on one of their sponsored forums) that,
"The bags are actually very durable, and you should not have any problems with splitting. If it does happen, I can assure you that the beads will not cause any harm in the aquarium. The best way to prevent this from happening is not letting the bag dry out between uses, as this can cause the beads to crack and potentially escape the bag."They also confirm that using multiple bags (in my original approach of the one bag in the sump baffle), "placing 2-3 bags in that area will be more efficient than 1 bag...if you decide to use more than recommended, you may see the Purigen bags last a little longer than normal. When they have become dark brown almost black, that is when you know they are ready to be regenerated or replaced."

All things considered, including the unnecessary expense of adding 1-2 additional bags, I've elected to place the Purigen in the filter sock for now - employ only the one I already own.

Regarding the Chemi-Pure, inasmuch as my setup requires a recommended 2-bags... and that these bags are one use...very loosely packed and very suited to being shaped and placed into all sorts of places... including spreading out to some degree to increase media surface water flow...these seem better suited to the space in the baffle. And, borrowing on advice, I'm taking an extra precaution to secure the bags with an additional zip tie.

Really want to thank everyone for their input as this has been an enjoyable and very educational thread for me all-around. I admit to be stubborn... and a guy who says, "Show me." before I believe... Well, the bags have been in place as you see them (one Purigen in sock and one Chemi-Pure ..even though my system requires 2) for less than 24-hrs and the results are stunning. I'm leaning to believing it's more about the one Chemi-Pure, simply because it's been there for a shorter period, but I cannot prove more credit to one or the other... save taking into account the feedback I've received from happy users! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom