Carbon filtration really necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremy arsement

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just thinking that if I'm using purified water from a water store, do I really need to use carbon filtration? I just assume leave it out of my sump. Thoughts???

Carbon is not just for things that may already be in the water used for water changes.

In most situations the bad things that carbon removes should already be removed with a healthy water change schedule. However, there are some situations that could benefit from its constant use. One big example in saltwater is that leather corals give off small amounts of a mild toxin. This can be most evident with SPS in the tank, which will not do as well. Corals in general carry out chemical warfare or may be triggered to carry out direct warfare (stinger tentacles) by chemical cues in the water. In both cases uses carbon (at least occasionally) could be very beneficial. Some use it all the time, some only use it for a day once a month.

I say try it and see if you can see any difference. If not don't keep wasting your money on it.

Well, I have a FOWLR tank only. Should I decide to add corals, I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

As long as you have chaeto or something and run floss/filter socks that you regularly remove/clean, you don't really need carbon. But if something kicks the bucket or releases toxins, carbon could keep the tank from collapsing and does indeed remove many decomp results/toxins.

You don't need it if you keep up with water changes, but there's no doubt that it does improve water quality and is definitely helpful when housing things such as leathers, some sea cucs, and w/e corals engage in harmful alleopathy.

Back
Top Bottom