Chaeto - Blood Fire/Peppermint Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfishhobbyist

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I need some advice/suggestions on a couple of different topics.

1.) We got some chaeto today. It's still in the bag from the LFS. We have seen some really weird animals in there and are afraid to contaminate the tank with unwanted hitchhikers. Is there a way to 'clean' the chaeto before putting it in the tank?

2.) We got a Blood fire shrimp about a month ago. We noticed some aiptasia so we just got a peppermint shrimp. I read in several places that they are both peaceful and will be ok together. I'm still a little worried. We have a 29 gallon with about 30 lbs of LR and it's got lots of caves and holes. What are your opinions with these 2 shrimp being together?

Thanks for your help!

I suspect what you see in the Cheato are Pods that are good hitchhikers. Check Xtalreef. for ID's.

Peppermint shrimp may eat aiptasia when they are small, the larger ones need your personal touch.

Thank you. Seems everyone is ok..it's been 4 days. The aiptasia is really small now so if 'Paddy' doesn't eat it...we will definitely do the nano reef thing.

Thanks again!

The pepermints are better in groups. I never saw the 2 in my tank and had no luck with the aptasia then I added 2 more. Now they are out most of the time and I have ony one aptasia left. They devistated the other ones but they just seem to pick at the last one. They will eat some of it and then wait for it to grow back and then eat it again.

Back
Top Bottom