Changing from cc to sand - help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JodiW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to change out the crushed coral for sand in my 75g tank. I'm also trying to add some live rock in there, but this question is about the sand. I am SO over the cc.

I read that I can do it gradually by taking some of the cc out and putting sand in, then taking out more cc and putting in more sand, etc. I currently only have 30 lb of sand and I'd like to get it in the tank and then add more later.

Is this okay to do? I plan on starting on one side of the tank and putting my lone little chunk of live rock on the sand. Then I will move to the next section when I get more sand and perhaps more live rock. I will try to add some live sand or grunge once the substrate is done being switched out. Is any of this going to cause problems for my tank inhabitants? I know a large amount of LR needs to be cured first but how about the 'dead' sand?

Also, what's the best/easiest way to rinse the sand? This stuff is super fine.

We've had this tank for a fairly long time but I haven't done a lot of upgrading on it. I'm fighting green hair algae now (old tank syndrome, I'm guessing) and want to get better filtration through the sand and LR to hopefully get things back on an even keel.

Any help/advice/suggestions/cautions are greatly appreciated! I don't want my 'improvements' to wind up causing worse issues.

It sounds to me like your plan is sound. Adding more rock to the tank could cause issues unless it is fully cured.

If it was my tank I would do sections on different days. I would siphon out about a 1/3 section removing all the CC in that section. I would then add the sand using a PVC pipe and let the rinsed out sand flow down the pipe to the bottom of the tank. You`ll have to add mixed SW to replace what water came out during the siphoning. A few days later repeat the process and again till all has been replaced. That`s just what I would do.

I agree with Mike, but when I did mine, I did it 1/3 one week at a time...just to be safe, in my 55.
Make sure to have some PWC on hand....

You know me Mike.....safe....sometimes maybe too safe but oh well.

EDIT....sometimes it's laziness.....lol.

Last edited:
OK, this is sounding good then. From what I've calculated, I need 105 lbs of sand to do a 3" depth. I've got 30 now (which I just rinsed and have waiting in buckets). So I figure I'll do about 1/4 of the tank at a time, probably weekly like you said. So I'll get 120 lbs in there total, which will hopefully get me closer to 4". A week will give the chemistry some time to settle before I do the next batch. I can also spread the expense out a bit that way, too. ;)

Now my next challenge is how to get in there and move things around without getting chewed on by my 'attack clown fish'. The female tries to take nips out of me whenever my tender flesh goes into the water. She drew blood last time. I think I need some of those gloves the large animal vets wear that go up to their shoulders. I suppose latex is toxic, though...

Thanks for your input. Please let me know any other tips or tricks you think of. I'm a little nervous doing this but I think it will be much better once it's done.

Back
Top Bottom