clean up crew every FOWLR could use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
while i understand that everyone's clean up crew may differ, some may have too much algae, some may have too much left over food.

but what are some generic inverts, one that really everyone could use at least one of, and explain what they do in particular.

please dont say: "depends on the tank" sure that factors into some extent, but i'd like to know some fun inverts i could use for basic stuff

like, are turbo or nerite snails better for algae, or are peppermint shrimp better cleaners than emerald crabs...

info to help all FOWLRers

i feel what you are saying, i have a fowlr tank, and i read alot about clean up crews and all that. But the best thing to do, is go and get what you like( but nothing that will eat your fish). Clean up crews are cheap if you compare it to fish. i have a 29gal and here is what i got 3 weeks ago

4 Astrea Snails
3 peppermint shrimp
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
3 dward red hermits

and this weekend i am getting 4 nassarius snails for my substrate.

People have different opinions on clean up crews, mine get along just fine!

In my opinion... Nassarius snails are a must have. Turbos and astrea snails are good algae eaters. I think hermits are kinda worthless...except, mine don't seem to do much except eat my snails (all but the astreas, which they don't bother). I would also reccomend a cleaner shrimp becaue they are so cool to water, peppermint shrimp scavenge alot as well and keep aipstasia in check. CBS are just nasty in my opinion and mine didn't clean very well.

Emerald crabs enjoy eating soft corals. If you have ANY intentions of getting them someday, avoid them. I just had a b*tch of a time getting two out last weekend. LOL After eating my newly aquired Pink Xenia that cost me 20 bucks.

:mad:

give a "sallylightfoot" crab a try . i have one and she's one busy lady, constantly cleaning & is alot of fun to watch !!

oldfishead !!!!!

You can't go wrong with shrimp for keeping excess food scraps from going to waste. The CBS is my favorite but as Devilishturtles mentioned they can really vary in attitude and you never should get more then one per tank. My tang will only go to the CBS for cleanings and ignores my other shrimp :roll:

Devilishturtles said:
In my opinion... Nassarius snails are a must have.
(y) These are great all around scavengers.

Make sure to drip acclimate all mobile inverts for 2+ hours to give them time to adjust to your tanks parameters.

I like nassis and cerith snails. How about a pistol shrimp with a shrimp goby? I also like conchs. I believe abelones are great too.

I also agree with the sallylightfoot crab. They are an excellent clean up crew member.

I love the blue leg hermits. They are awesome at mowing down the algae in my tank. My only complaint is that I can't keep snails since the hermits will eat them. I've tried keeping tons of extra shells but that doesn't work. These guys have a uniquely insatiable appetite.

just bought some hermits and astraea snails, they arent great, but i'll give them some time

nassarius sounds like a good idea, close to an inch down in my substrate, i notices theres like a dark layer, perhaps they can stir it up a bit

I would say must haves would be.... a fighting conch, a few of the large variety of nassarius snails for the sand bet and also take care of some ditritus. Also any of the cleaner snails are always a good idea. I also like emerald crabs and different types of hermits :)

Would Nassarius snails do OK in a bed of courser coral gravel or do they need a fine sand bed? I have a bed of crushed coral that is a bit course. Also, what about brittle stars? No one has mentioned them.

johnkristie said:
Would Nassarius snails do OK in a bed of courser coral gravel or do they need a fine sand bed?

ehh, i just bought some. i have argonite, which is i suppose really fine CC, and i havent seen any of my nassarius in the sand bed yet. larger crushed coral would be a deffinate no.

i've never seen shrimp scurry for food like my peppermints, though they do hide constantly, though they might just be scared, being in a new tank and all

Back
Top Bottom