Clean up crew for sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have alot of ditrius in my sump, is it possible to put a couple snails to help eat some of it up? Would there be any problems? All my pumps have foam prefilters on them

You need to use a filter sock or something to catch that stuff and vacuum out what you've collected. Is there a refugium in the sump or just pumps and such? If so, you could add something down there, but what? What is going to eat a pile of fish poop? I don't think there's anything that effective.

I have a filter sock, but there is still ditrius on the bottom from before i installed it, idk if vacuuming will work on my sump its way underneath my tank theres no way i can get a syphon going, its just a sump with pumps and macro algae no refugium

If it has macroalgae, then it has a refugium. I would not add anything to it that can eat algae. It will be counter productive.
I would simply shut the pumps down when you do your water change (which I imagine you already do), and put your hand down there and stir up the water pretty good, then vacuum out what you can. A few water changes later, that stuff will be pretty thinned out.

Back
Top Bottom