Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sub ceroh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a cleaner shrimp 2 days ago and he seams to be hanging around in the same spot just hiding. I know they molt and hide quit often I was just wondering if it takes a wile before he starts cleaning fish or is there something wrong with him?:confused:

I've never seen mine clean a fish. Ever. He'll pick at stuff around the tank, but never touch the fish.

He was a little skittish at first but he now will come up and try to clean hands if they're in the tank. I think mine spent 3 days behind one rock, I don't know if he found something particularly delicious or what, but he's out and about now.

I heard that the aquarium raise cleaner shrimp usually won't clean fishes, not sure tho.
do u have fish that might be aggresive to shrimp, if yes the shrimp will mostly hide.

if not, they might just adjusting to your tank.

I have 1-Mandarin Dragonet - Spotted, 1-Blue Hippo Tang,1-False Percula Clownfish,1-Red Serpent Starfish.

I agree, my cleaners never cleaned the fish either. I got them when I first started and think I was overfeeding but haven't had any since then.

I've had my cleaners for a month and they always hide i never see them

I just caught mine brush up against my tang and then retreated behind the rocks.

I had my cleaner shrimps for quite some time and never saw them clean a fish. I had 2 tank raised occelaris in there for a while and they didn't go near him. All of that changed when I added my yellow tang, they clean him every so often, mostly the tang will hover in for a cleaning and the shrimp leaps on him until the tang is sick of being picked at. They also clean my lawnmower blennie also. I have never observed them clean the clowns, goby, or flame angel.

Hi, not a frequent poster, but I had to put my 2 cents in. My cleaner shrimp hid for a few days, but then found his spot, and he is always there. He cleans the lemon butterfly every so often. Each time a new fish is introduced into the tank, it goes up to the cleaner shrimp for a short time. It's sort of neat to watch. Here's a movie of my cleaner and butterfly.

YouTube - MVI 2128

Ya mine has wormed up and when Im placing my tang’s food in he wants to rid my hand of parasites.

Back
Top Bottom