Cleaning Crew for a 225 FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is what I am thinking of. Let me know your thoughts
Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab 100
Astraea Turbo Snail 100
Fighting Conch 3
Coral Banded Shrimp 1
Peppermint Shrimp ? Not sure how many. suggestions?
Decorator Crab 1

Any other recommendations/modifications?

I would go with some Nassarius snails as well. They are great for sand sifting and are very active, especially during feeding time. You probably don't need that many turbo snails either, i would say 50. I have a conch and love it . . . 3 would be great. Only think I would add would be a couple cleaner shrimp and/or Blood Red Shrimp. They are very fun to watch and will help clean your fish as well.

As for the Peppermint shrimp, unless you have an Aiptasia problem I wouldn't get too many. They hide usually and you will not see them much (at least in my experience). The cleaners are typically more enjoyable. HTH

tripper

That helps a bunch. I like the blood red shrimp too. How does 3 peppermints and a blood sound.

I will get the Nassarius snails as well. Should I get 50?

For starters what do you have now for inhabitants?

Everything looks fine, but I would add it slow if just starting (like half of what you listed) and then eventually double it.

Everything I have seen says as many as 1 snail and 1 hermit/gal so you have plenty of room.

I agree with tripper on the peppermint. 1-3 as they are good for cleanup and would proven any future aiptasia problems, but don't count on seeing them much.

Otherwise emerald crabs(1-3), cleaner shrimp, and camel back shrimp are all nice choices. Starfish are always nice too. If you have a sand bed the sand sifting stars are suppose to be beneficial.

Getting a variety of snails instead of all one kind would be my only other suggestion.

As always slow acclimation with all inverts.

Good luck,

Right now I have 2 blue green chromis and live rock that has toadstools and cabbage and various mushrooms and starfish. The tank has been running for 3 months and the live rock has been in for 3 weeks. I took it from a friends reef tank and transported it in water from his tank was only out of tank for 3 hours total. I saw no dieooff and no spikes of any kind. My tank was cycled previously with raw shrimp. I will acclimate the cleanup crew with the drip method and I will have the whole day open when they arrive. I will be ordering Friday to get them on Tuesday.

Sounds like a plan.

What are your future plans for inhabitants? You can do a lot with 225gal set up. I can only dream at this point. :wink:

Good luck,

The only must have fish are a pair of clowns. Other than that I have not come up with my list yet. I will be working on it now that my tank is up and stable. Thanks for the advice

Aren't tangs agressive toward other tangs. I thought you should only have one per tank but I could be wrong. I think I remember reading that somewhere.

Yes, but if it's a large enough system, has rock, and the tangs are a different shape and color they can usually be kept together peacefully :)

Back
Top Bottom