cleaning out my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys I'm cleaning my tank and sump today and am curious about how to go about cleaning the sump. I have live rock rubble and a huge chunk of chaeto in there usually this isn't a problem I just empty it all out and clean. Well upon inspection today I notice I have a boatload of pods swimming around in that chaeto and I don't want to lose them. Thoughts ??

Put some water from the tank in a bucket and put the chaeto in thee clean your sump as usual and then place the chaeto back in and and then dump in the water from the bucket to make sure you don't lose any pods

That's kinda what I assumed I should do just wanted a 2nd opinion thanks. I can't believe how many are in there. I'm fairly new to the hobby what should I do with them?

Leave them in some will make it to the return pump and into the tank and "voila" free food, you could also dump the ones left in the bucket into the main tank

Since I now have a stock of them will they continue to breed ? Or could my fish wipe out the population? I don't have any fish that rely on them as their main diet.

Fish are opportunistic, generally they'll eat whatever presents itself save for those with specialized diets, as long as there is a decent population in the sump you should never run out in the main tank

Back
Top Bottom